My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This mower worked last year, but burned up the PTO CLutch. I had no idea the clutch had burned up when it came to me to be fixed. I started testing for issues and when turning the ignition switch I could hear the solenoid clicking. I finally determined the PTO clutch was toated, I repalced the clutch with a tested good one. Now the mower will not turn over and there is no clicking of the solenoid, or power going from one side of the solenoid to the other. I have chased and tested almost every wire and find no problems. Is there a way to test the PTO switch? Or have I missed something in my diagnosis?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sounds like a safety switch issue, ie PTO switch might be stuck on?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bypassed all the safety switches. Replaced the PTO switch and still will not turn ove. The only thing I have gained was now I can jump the solenoid and the motor will turn over. I even repalced the igntion switch to no avail and checked all the wiring. It still will not turn onver when I turn the key. I need some help here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not knowing if this unit is a Hydro unit or a Gear model STX?

Assuming the all safety switches are in working order? after being
tested & bypassed 1 @ time? and using a DVOM Meter.

1) Intermitted Frame Ground I.E Battery cable, PTO ground, safety Switch
engine harness connector dirty? or engine ground wire if equip?

Its not uncommon to find a loose engine in the frame from the mounting bolts loosing up over time, causing starting or running issues.

2) Power feed fuse blown? from battery to ignition switch. Broken or shorted wire? "Starter Power Relay" not feeding the solenoid.

3) Defective starter Solenoid, even if its clicking does not mean its
passing voltage from posts, until you physically connect them with a screw
driver. Common problem.

4) Does the ignition switch have battery power to the B terminal?. Is it feeding power to starter relay on "S" terminal on switch when turn to start position?

Some ideas to look at.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did a bit of checking on the wiring and safety switches. The wires and brake satey tested good, the seat switch is bad. I cannot locate one until Tuesday, if I jump the seat safety wires, bypassing the switch sill this allow me to attempt to start the engine without damaging anything else? Sure hope to get a reponse to this because I really want this back cutting grass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts