My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems the Honda and Toro are the favorites here, but I've only found worn out Hondas and Toros with transmission issues. I did run across a later model Craftsman with the BS Platnum Engine. It also has the electric start which I personally would not want due to the added weight/complexity. Is it easily removed? Are these mowers OK? Again, it will basically be used for trim work. Thanks, George in NC

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
there ok i guess, some of the later quantums have ready start carbs that im not a big fan of.(no primer and autochoke). most except quantum ics have aluminum cylinders which tend to score easily if a multiweight oil is used in my experience. briggs 3.5 classics are a good choice between quantums and classics because of the simpler and more reliable carbs. if i were you i would look for honda gcv 160s on rotted decks because you can always swap the decks. starters are easily removed from either engines. 3.5 classics are no longer made except for a pressure washer i saw at sears with one last year(you can thank the epa for that). if you do find a mower with a rotted deck and or bad tranny and need a brush mower, i have succesfully cut out the front of the deck with a grinder before and used them like that

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I really don't like newer Craftsman walk-behinds. In my experience, they're poorly built, with cheesy decks that corrode after a few years, flimsy wheels and hardware, and plastic gearcases that have no torque and sometimes split wide open. We had one, and although I dutifully washed out and dried the deck after every use, it was corroded after just a few seasons. Additionally, parts can sometimes be hard to get, especially after they introduce new models. The Briggs Quantum engines are all right, but they're not on a par with Honda and have a lower build quality while not being as smooth.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
i think ayp makes the push mowers, the same company that makes the(usually) husqvarna junk. i agree with what was said above, briggs are ok for what they are, but honda makes the best running, starting, and easiest to main engines in the small engine industry

·
Registered
507 Posts
I find Briggs engines easier to work on. I've had a good experience with my 2004 AYP made 21'' self-propelled mower with a 7 HP Briggs OHV. It always starts and is really quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
507 Posts
i had a briggs intec ic on a husqvarna 21 in deck break the cam for no apparent reason
Plastic cam? Was it run for a long time? Did you check the oil? It shouldn't break under normal conditions, if it did the part was flawed.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
i checked the oil, never abused it the nylon just decided to break one day, the nub on the cam fell off. when i pulled the engine off the deck for disassembly you could hear the little nub rattling inside

·
Registered
480 Posts
I know plastics have come a long way and I have used it it applications that I thought was interesting but I still have a problem wrapping my brain around plastic inside of an internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I know plastics have come a long way and I have used it it applications that I thought was interesting but I still have a problem wrapping my brain around plastic inside of an internal combustion engine.
Sometimes its better. When plastic explodes, it usually won't knock a hole in the case like a metal component would. But, really, the only reason plastic parts exist is because it's cheaper to make.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
it really doesnt make sense to me from a consumers point of view. unless its for an air filter, dipsick tube or something on the outside of the engine or just as a decorative piece. i really hate the plastic shrouding and recoils on the kohler courage gxv160 clones. they are made out of the cheapest thinnest plastic known to man. i know a few people that have them and have seen some displays models in store and guess what? the **** recoil and shrouding flex when the recoil is pulled, and i heard they break easily to.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sometimes its better. When plastic explodes, it usually won't knock a hole in the case like a metal component would. But, really, the only reason plastic parts exist is because it's cheaper to make.
Oh I get that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts