My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stevens st75 coil tester and would like to know if I can test electronic ignition coils like briggs tecumsa and Honda coils with it thanks. I asked on other forums no one knows.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I Googled the tester and I would assume it can't due to the age. I can't find any more than you did?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sorry!! One I found on Google looked much older!! LOL
Must have been beat up badly! That is strange I can't find something on it?
Maybe you could use it, but so unsure. Would really suck to kill a ignition coil on it!
I'll keep looking for you!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I would say no. Usually specialty test equipment like that will work only with circuit designs the same age as the tester or older.

Also I found a post on another forum that backed up my thought:

st75 will only work with point ignition it will not work with cdi / tci coils if the trigger is built in the coil so most of the newer coils will not test on the st75
Link above snipped from: WANTED- Stevens Instruments ST-75 - HobbyTalk

We used to have that problem with CRT testers. As new tubes came out you had to get updated adapter jigs and new listings per tube number of how to set the control switches. One wrong setting or misplaced test lead on a wrong pin and best case your readings were worthless and worst case you'd blow the elements in the picture tube turning it into a vacuum filled boat anchor. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts