My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a problem with my lawn tractor steering. Basically, it does not turn. I get a clicking sound when I turn the steering wheel. I'm not sure what part or parts are broken, missing or loose. Here is a pic of the steering mechanism. Maybe you can assist me as to the problem.

I took the steering wheel off and can turn the shaft either direction with my fingers.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Did this happen all at one time or did it happen gradually?

The problem sounds like possibly the steering cogs may be stripped, which would be the logical reason for the problem if the steering problem developed slowly. It's a fairly common problem for the cogs to become worn with use and eventually start skipping.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
If possible, take a look under your machine and check to see how parts numbered 8, 11, and 12 look. I'd agree with Wayne, sounds like the gears that should mesh together to make the steering work aren't meshing so well anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

No, it started within 10 minutes.

I guess I'll have to drop the deck to get a better look at things. Not my favorite thing to do, but . . . sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Jerry

Did this happen all at one time or did it happen gradually?

The problem sounds like possibly the steering cogs may be stripped, which would be the logical reason for the problem if the steering problem developed slowly. It's a fairly common problem for the cogs to become worn with use and eventually start skipping.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
You've got the idea; that's probably the best thing to do. Take a good look at the steering mechanism and be on the lookout for any loose or broken parts. Since it happened so suddenly I would suspect that some extraordinary stress caused something to break.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope this helps someone in the future.

I finally got around to fixing the problem. It was part number 12 ($2.80 part). I do not know if it was not installed properly or just wore out on its own. It was worn in half and would no longer hold the steering rod so that it would stay engaged with the gear part that turned the wheels (if this makes any scenes).

The parts man told me that the first ones were made of plastic and wore out real fast; mine was made of metal.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Thanks for the update, Jerry

Yes, it always helps when a member gets back to MLMF and reports their repair.

There will be another person with similar problems on a similar model....They'll know what to do now that you've reported your results ;)!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark,

Someone else will have the same problem for sure. The part is used in over 200 different models.

The symptom of the part going was the steering getting more and more sloppy. Replacing the part tightened the steering up.

Jerry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a Yardman. It is manufactured by MTD and they make a lot of different lawn tractors. I don't know if the make the Sears models, but it would not surprise me one bit if they did.

Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts