My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new member so good evening everyone!

I have a Jacobsen Greens King IV, which I have just brought, it has had a few problems and I have attempted to solve the various small things!! Leaking grommet from Diesel tank, changed the ignition switch as I broke the original!!
The starter would not kick in and start so I removed it, it was a Mitsubishi M2T, I opened it up and the coil was shattered, ordered a new one, got it today but it was an M3T, apparently it is the same, bit bigger so had to take apart the chassis to get it in, but it is in and all back together.
Now my big problem...the battery would hardly turn over the starter/engine, took the battery off of Defender and it started first time, turned it off and it wouldnt start? Charged the battery for an hour, started first time, turned it off and it wouldnt start again, very confused.
I think the mower is going to be great and I look forward to understanding it etc and getting the best out of it. I cannot afford an expensive service etc and will strip it down in the winter, any help would really be appreciated.

Forgot to mention, part number is 62229
Many thanks in advance.

Nic

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nic! :)

I found a wiring diagram at the website below that might be of some help if you don't already have one:

OEM Parts

Make sure though it is the matching engine and serial numbers for your specific tractor. Sounds like a basic no battery charging issue. Maybe an open fuse or rectifier?

Didn't by chance arc the power leads getting that new starter in there did you? ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marc,
didnt arc the terminals as everything was disconnected, the guys at the Auto parts store did confuse me as they stated that nothing goes on the negative terminal, but I took a yellow lead off of the old one, so put it back on again, the solenoid section of the old motor only had three terminals, the + the - and a spade earth connector, the new one has an additional connector with a lead attached which I have ignored??
I want to get this working as I think I will learn so much from it etc.
Regards and thanks
Nic

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
I'd probably check your battery with a voltmeter to see if the voltage goes up a volt or two with the engine running. That will tell you if you are getting the charging current from the engine alternator. I'm not familiar with those diesel engines at all as far as whether they use a flywheel stator or an external alternator for charging the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cutting height

I'd probably check your battery with a voltmeter to see if the voltage goes up a volt or two with the engine running. That will tell you if you are getting the charging current from the engine alternator. I'm not familiar with those diesel engines at all as far as whether they use a flywheel stator or an external alternator for charging the battery.
All done thanks, engine now runs lovely. I am having some trouble with the cutter heights, I have grass that is 3" long, currently the front rollers flatten the grass and the reels will not cut the grass, if I raise the reels by raising the cylinder so that the front rollers just touch the grass then it cuts ok, is there any way that i can limit the cylinder movement so that it hold the reels up off of the grass?
thsanks
Nic

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
All done thanks, engine now runs lovely.
What turned out to be causing the weak battery symptoms?

.... is there any way that i can limit the cylinder movement so that it hold the reels up off of the grass?....
Only thing I can think of would be to fabricate some sort of gauge wheels like used on mower decks to the replace the rollers in supporting the reels at a specific height above the ground.

One problem I can see with some how locking the hydraulics would be that it would tend to both scalp and miss cutting places on uneven ground since the reels would no longer be able to follow the contour of the ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts