My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with a 20 hp tecumseh riding mower. The battery is dead, So I jump it off and it starts fine. About 5 minutes into mowing it will lose power real bad and die within a minute or so, Then start right back up and do it all over again. Does anybody have any ideas what could be the cause of this? Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It almost sounds spark related. I would probably first install a clip on spark tester on the end of the plug and see if it's losing spark. It may have something to do with the dead battery.

If that gets ruled out then I would move on to a fuel delivery related issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, Well I have read some things people have posted with similar problems on different sites and one thing that was mentioned was that the gas cap may not be venting right so it's creating a vacuum in turn not letting fuel into the carbs. Something else I had forgotten to mention is that when it first started for some reason I had the idea to remove the oil cap and when I did, It regained power until I screwed it back on. That is what really has me confused. What would the connection be?

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Could be the battery if it is the type of ignition that requires a certain amount of battery voltage to operate. First thing I would look into is why the battery is going dead. Need to determine whether it is a bad battery, short, or just lack of charging causing the problem. I would measure your voltage on the battery terminals and see if it varies with engine speed or at a minimum is higher with the engine running. If it goes higher with engine running then the charger is probably working. If the voltage stays the same or slowly drops probably a charging problem. Look for blown fuses or broken wires.

Do you have a tractor and or engine model number? With that we might be able to look up an electrical diagram for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have to get the model number tomorrow but as soon as I can I will post it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The model number is tvt691600811a. I cranked it up earlier and turned on the head lights and everything was strong the lights were bright and everything was great, I took it down the driveway and on the way back up the slight hill it lost power. So I decided to check the lights again and they were very dim and weak. I did make it back up the driveway and the mower regained power off and on. What's that sound like?

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Looks like it may have a fuel shutoff solenoid on it. Low voltage there would shutoff the fuel supply to the engine. That could cause a definite loss of power. ;)

Tecumseh V-Twin Engine correct?

I found a general manual for them. I'm going to see if i can get it uploaded to our reference library. :ThumbUp:

Have you tried cleaning the battery terminals and all connections to chassis ground that you can find?

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Here's a link to the manual I just uploaded. Page 27 starts the electrical system section.

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...857-tecumseh-v-twin-technicians-handbook.html

I plugged in your model number (TVT691-600811A) into a parts site and it does show a fuel cutoff solenoid on the bottoms of the twin carbs. So once you get the voltage problem resolved that should likely solve your power and stalling problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I believe it is the V-Twin engine. I haven't really tried messing with anything electrical, Not yet anyways. I suppose I should check all the wires and have the battery tested though. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I finally got a new battery for the mower, I also replaced both spark plugs. It was doing great no problem at all and then coming up the hill it quickly lost power and died. I tried to restart it and it had no power so I jumped it off and mowed for another 5 mins or so with no issue. Turned it off and it would not restart. What is my problem?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hello, the charging system is not working. Your battery is being drained by the electric PTO and I bet the voltage regulator or stator is faulty. What voltage is the battery when running? Should be 12-14v. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure of the voltage when it is running I will have to check tomorrow. If it is the voltage regulator or the stator how could I be sure? Also how would I go about replacing the stator? If I am right it should be under the flywheel which means having to pull apart half of the engine. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree it sounds like the charging system or pto is causing you problems. You can use a voltage meter to test the electrical components, the manual explains it. The stator is under the flywheel. good luck... electrical stuff can be a nightmare

1 - 13 of 13 Posts