My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
1,329 Posts
Today,1-30-13, I am starting the rebuild on a REO mower that a friend gave me approx. 2 years ago.It has been setting out in the weeds for years before I got it. When i seen it I wanted it , even if it would never run again. My Dad had at least one gas powered reel mower that I can remember.
This is my first time to do anything to a reel mower, so it will be a challenge for me.
I will ofcourse get on the internet searching for info and schematics.
I have numbers and what I think it is at this point.
1953 REO
model# WE21
serial# 14502
Carb Carter model N
built by RedMotors inc. lawnmower division
Lansing MI.
starting with some pics of its present condition, and a pic of a nice one that I think shows the true colors of what mine should look like

Attachments

·
1,329 Posts
Well, Im already correcting myself. As it turns out this one is a 1951 REO Royale 21 inch cut
I have several items on it that need relpaced.
the wood rollers need to be bought or made for it.
I broke a small belt pully
The drive chain is broke, it was still on the sprockets, I believe it set so long that the chain rusted away on one link.
The head has stripped threads for the spark plug.
the engine has oil in it, the piston works up and down, the valves are working.
The main shaft in the reel is rusted to the point of no return , rusted nearly 1/4 thrue the shaft.
Need tires
The last pic is mower soaking in PB Blaster

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Off to a good start Doc! :cool
That's a nice red bench you have in the background, looks like a nice portable welding table.. :bag:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Very exciting project!! It is not often that you see a restored reel mower so I always applaud those who go the extra mile and actually restore one of them.

I am really looking forward to following the progress. Keep up the good work and ambition, it is going to look beautiful.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very exciting project!! It is not often that you see a restored reel mower so I always applaud those who go the extra mile and actually restore one of them.

I am really looking forward to following the progress. Keep up the good work and ambition, it is going to look beautiful.
Thanks Austen, I really want this one to look top shelf and run just as well. I want to use this mower:ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Mail Order.....:sidelaugh

Do you have decals lined up and are you going to have some rollers made or are you going to reuse them?

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mail Order.....:sidelaugh

Do you have decals lined up and are you going to have some rollers made or are you going to reuse them?
I havnt looked for decals or anything yet, I do want it to be as much original as possible. I have a wood shop next property north of me, I will take one roller over and see if he can make them. I did see a web site that I think I can order some parts. I will look tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
This one is going to be fun to follow! I've always thought the REO was one of the prettiest reel mowers made. The colors scheme on them is beautiful, and the style of lettering really neat.

Looking at your pictures, it darn near has an entire owner's manual on that plate! Back in the day, they figured you knew how to work on your equipment.

Can't wait for the next update Doc.

·
1,329 Posts
I will have the nuts and bolts all out today, maybe get started on the bead blasting, that will take some time,OH my aching back!!:help:
I still havnt had any luck finding all the parts,tires and decals yet. found some things but I need several things.
Anyone have any ideas of REO outlets, parts suppliers?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts

Take two, lasts all day..
No idea on the parts Doc but looks like this one may be complete by April?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Regarding tires, there used to be a seller on Ebay who sold two or three different styles but I don't see any active listings at the moment.

I will do some research and also see if I can get a hold of the seller that did to see if they still have any left. I also recall that somebody found another source recently who was replacing theirs as well and will look into that also, it may have been on The 'Stak. Bruce may remember.

In terms of the decal(s), the site Click It and Stick It offers the option to recreate an original although I've never tried going through them before. I also know of a couple of other sources as well that could most likely do it if they had something to work from.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Picture turned out great, but Oh my, that Reo hasn't seen any use in quite a while, has it.

I got tires off of the same place Austen was talking about on ebay. Let me take a look, there was a fellow selling tires out east somewhere. I talked to him once about Jake tires, but he didn't have them on hand. He sort of specialized in things for Cooper Clippers.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picture turned out great, but Oh my, that Reo hasn't seen any use in quite a while, has it.

I got tires off of the same place Austen was talking about on ebay. Let me take a look, there was a fellow selling tires out east somewhere. I talked to him once about Jake tires, but he didn't have them on hand. He sort of specialized in things for Cooper Clippers.
Thanks I appriciate you guys for your interest and help.:2th:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Here it is, Dandy Sales. As I recall, he pointed out a number that should be moulded into the sidewall that identifies the tire, or at least it did for the old Jacobsen tires.

Dandy Sales, Inc. | Monson, MA 01057

Other talk on the Stak says you can get replacement tires from Miller Tires.

m. e. MILLER tire

I remember reading of folks who got the tires for the Scotts reel mower and used them because the size they were looking for was the same as what the Scotts uses, and a whole lot less expensive.

I can't find a reference for the Scotts mower right off hand, but it looks like the American Lawn Mower Company makes them.

American Lawn Mower - Reel Lawnmower - Reel lawn mower - Reel Gang Mower

That seller with the tires on ebay was mowandsnow. They're a mower and snowblower retailer, repair shop in Chicago, and do business outside of ebay as well.

Chicago Lawn Mower

Seems the size we were looking for to fit the Jakes was 10.50 X 1.75. Google it and you'll get all kinds of images of Austen's Lawn Queen:cool, and another name that came up was the Martin Wheel Company.

Martin Wheel

There's got to be somebody out there that still has these!:dunno:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
You're a wealth of information, Bruce!

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 95 Posts