My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found some misplaced sales on EBAY in parts and accessories area of home and garden. Found a couple tractors local that ended today. I made a first bid and left it at that, ended in four hours. Took easy morning and went with dad to store. Got back and worked on a tractor. Checked EBAY and we won! Emailed guy and went to pick them up. Mind you this is the WEIRDEST MTD I ever bought with first hydro on the parts free one he gave us!!
FEAST YOUR EYES ON THIS ONE!?! Needed a permit to go onto roads over height!? :sidelaugh :idea::sarcasm::help::sorry::dunno::bag:

Thinking of trying to mount this canopy onto a snowblower tractor and using plastic to make a snow shield for us?!

Engine ran on choke cleaner only, was out of fuel. Hope it will suck it up when I put more in!

Hard to get on it!

The parts one is hydro and stripped! Very hard to push, hydro release is stuck I think!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Interesting little shelter they built for it. Keeps the sun off your head I guess.

Will you guys be losing it or selling it with the machine?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thinking of taking it off for a snow blower tractor! Would be nice to make a snow block for one!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I'll bet you could make some doors for it and fab up some plexiglass for windows. :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Austen that is idea! motor, I was like WTH when I saw it this morning! I know the basic machine is good Garden MTD though. Never had a heavy one and knew the opposed twin was worth the cost!

Reactions: Austen

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Actually one of the better looking home made canopies I've seen. It would be nice to have on a snowblower machine to keep the snow out of your face.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure is Bruce! It withstood 50-60MPH with zero tie downs!! Very well built for what it is, bet it adds 50# to weight of machine! Sure makes it hard to get on it though!!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well off with its head!! We took the cover off as it isn't going with it and can't work on anything! Took hood off and serviced fuel pump and carb. Took a while but got the pump to suck fuel and she fired up and ran! Took tins off and got rid of mouse nest. The rear belt is VERY bad! Chunked and missing pieces. Was able to drive it at least. Deck is froze, burned belt some. Seems to run good though and cleaned up well.

First drive!

Reactions: snowworks

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Sounds like it runs nice and smooth!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engine sounds great thank God!! Seems plenty strong!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Kool topper!!

Sound like you keep your Dad busy. All the tractors you have got in the last few weeks. That top looked kind of neet. But if your mowing when the sun is high it just does not work well. A winter tractor might be the best used for that with some sides and back curtains. You got a lot of those Briggs opposed twins?? I brought home a MTD with the twin but I see alot of the sheet metal for the motor is missing. I'll have to look at it closer..

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL snowworks, dad loves having something to do. We are in NO hurry! When/if they get done! That is plan to use that canopy with sides for snow blower tractor. Don't know which one though, Craftsman or Bolens. We love the opposed twins! Very strong and sound great at idle!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well finally started it! Scrapped the parts tractor and kept the front axle. Today we drove it in and removed axle and all things in way! Rigged it up on jack stands to allow ease of back work on lift! Thank God worked like a charm! Swapped axle after wash and quick paint to stop rust worm. Only thing I missed was this axle is set up for small tires! Spindles too small and old ones worn badly! Seems ok with small tires though! Now steering doesn't hit frame and drives ok! Then changed the really bad drive belts! Thankfully we had the main drive belt in stock, other was bought long time ago! Now it drives good too. Engine developed a problem while driving it. Piece of dirt must have dislodged in carb, now needs choke to run. No worries as it sat for God knows how long and I ran it for 10-20 minutes today!
This axle was wiped out!

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Definitely doesn't qualify as a cast iron front axle... :sarcasm: :sidelaugh

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dad fixed the nose and mounted hood. He found stupid mistake people made with rear wheels. Mounted them and way overtightened nuts, messed rims all up, causing it to wheel wobble! He thought it was only one side, while I drove it the other wheels does it too! :( Next repair along with deck.
Only seat we had was plastic based Craftsman, as soon as I tried it, screws popped out of front mount! Try again!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bob had a set of blades so today is deck work. Possibly work on the other wheel issue.
The blades look original and wiped out!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts