My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this COE(Cab Over Engine) IH. for some time, time is up , no more waiting. I got it in the shop yesterday and this is where it stands tonight. Tear down is always the fun part, everything slows down after tear down part.
Plan is to set the body and a bed on a 2000 Ford F150 chassis, with the original Ford engine , trans and computer.
My hopes are to end up with a safe and nice driving truck with out investing 30 thousand dollars like I did the last car. I will share this build with MLF as well as MTF, I dont type that well so I will will copy and paste back and forth.
I hope this is as fun as I think it will be.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
:2th:

Out of curiosity how did you come upon the Ford running gear? Looks like lower miles and very little rust at least from the photos. Rollover with lot of body damage early in its life?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
What a unique project!! I will definitely be looking forward to following this one.

Those are cool super singles on the back! They look real nostalgic.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is the chassis going to need any mods (lengthen or shorten up the frame etc) to get the cab and bed to fit right? Just wondering, it's a great looking old truck!

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:2th:

Out of curiosity how did you come upon the Ford running gear? Looks like lower miles and very little rust at least from the photos. Rollover with lot of body damage early in its life?
Mark, the Ford was a 4 time roll over! miles are near 200K, but it runs really good. It rolled down over a embankment into the woods. No insurance, owner brought me the title and gave me the truck for wrecker tow and recover. Frame is very clean ,surface rust only. So thats a reasonable exspense for a start.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a unique project!! I will definitely be looking forward to following this one.

Those are cool super singles on the back! They look real nostalgic.
Austen , the truck and wheels (I think @ this point are like 1949?? that might change later. The COE is a two ton chassis, originally it no doubt had duals on it.:ThumbUp:

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the chassis going to need any mods (lengthen or shorten up the frame etc) to get the cab and bed to fit right? Just wondering, it's a great looking old truck!
BOSOX, the wheel base on the Ford is near 3 ft. longer then the IH. I plan on moving and altering the leaf spring hangers forward to the desired wheel base. that will depend on the bed that I use. might be a late moder step side bed or a aluminum flat bed with head ache rack.??

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
What a great build this is going to be, Don! :cool

I absolutely love some of the old cab-overs, especially the short wheel base ones -

Saw a chap recently who married a late model fleetside bed to his early 2 ton '65 Chevy cab-over. He went zooming by and never had a chance to take pic's (or really give it a look over).

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is the original bed not worth repairing and using Don? May even make adapters to use the spoke wheels that are on it now, I know of a certain machinest who may just be able to help you out with the project! Lol

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a great build this is going to be, Don! :cool

I absolutely love some of the old cab-overs, especially the short wheel base ones -

Saw a chap recently who married a late model fleetside bed to his early 2 ton '65 Chevy cab-over. He went zooming by and never had a chance to take pic's (or really give it a look over).
I wish mine was a chevy or Ford COE, but I gotta work with what I have. for me to have FUN, I need to keep the dollar signs DOWN.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the original bed not worth repairing and using Don? May even make adapters to use the spoke wheels that are on it now, I know of a certain machinest who may just be able to help you out with the project! Lol
actually the bed is in pretty good condition, PO air chiseled the wheel openings out and lost the rolled metal opening.
The wheels ate the old split rims, bolt pattern is around the actually rim's , I will post some close up pics of wheel and fender. The IH bed other wise is in good shape.

·
Registered
499 Posts
actually the bed is in pretty good condition, PO air chiseled the wheel openings out and lost the rolled metal opening.
The wheels ate the old split rims, bolt pattern is around the actually rim's , I will post some close up pics of wheel and fender. The IH bed other wise is in good shape.
I thought the wheel openings were a little funky Don, too bad the cut offs were lost! Maybe the modern dually wheel wells on the old bed with some really wide rubber on the rears?

Just my thinking on this, ( you know about opinions, everybody's got one ) keeping it looking like the "IH" that it is would be really great, I've never seen one like it.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought the wheel openings were a little funky Don, too bad the cut offs were lost! Maybe the modern dually wheel wells on the old bed with some really wide rubber on the rears?

Just my thinking on this, ( you know about opinions, everybody's got one ) keeping it looking like the "IH" that it is would be really great, I've never seen one like it.
Opinions are good!, once I get the cab mounted to my liking I will set the bed on the frame with the car lift to be able to picture the over all look. I can find some kind of ole fenders to barrow the openings from.:ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Very unique project, this will be good. How about posting a picture of the wrecker that was hooked to it, I want to see that paint scheme.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

the bed is off and on a roll around cart, the cab is in the air.

this pic shows the cab over engine mount, with some altering it will work perfect on the Ford chassis. I will have to trim the mount rails out some for the V8 engine to fit side to side. The engine is 9 inches taller then the 6 pack.I have to build a dog house in the cab any way.

the cab is facing the wrong way for me to fit it to the Ford chassis. Im thinking I can wrap a nylon strap threw the cab and up over the hoist top rail, let the lift in a down position and maybe just spin the cab around and then raise the lift back up to the cab????

thats about all I got done today.:ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
You are on fire now. What a great retirement project. You have long term plans for it when you get done? Who is giving you a hand with this, perhaps another family project?

Have you seen the cab over IH in the movie "Real Steel"?

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats a wild looking IH, never seen it before. I actually want this one as a daily driver and a truck for the fishing boat. No plans down the road other then normal use.
I won't have much help, everyone has there own agenda's lol. Im a loner with these projects. Donnie will most likely do the spray paint, my arms won't hold the gun as well as they used to. He painted the 50 chop top for me.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts