My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Have an '05 Cub SRC621 with the Kawi engine and always use it in mulching mode.

I cannot seem to keep the rear of the under-deck plastic mulching shroud attached to the rear edge of the metal mowing deck no matter what kind of screws I use. The screws come loose despite use of Lock-tite and allows grass clippings into the drive belt pulley area screwing everything up and making it difficult, if not impossible, to engage and release the drive for self-propelled progress. Been battling this for years, unsuccessfully, and the dealer has no suggestions.

About ready to give the thing away to charity for a tax deduction but love that Kawi engine which has many hours and years left on it.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. That was my first thought, replacing the screws with SS bolts and nyloc nuts. However, the inside of the plastic shroud is curved to follow the curvature of the metal mower deck so there is no way to tighten down a bolt/nut.

I went back to the selling dealer and bought a new shroud ( $36.66 !!! ) and his parts guy suggested using Gorilla Glue to hold the screws in place since Loc-Tite failed. The first problem I had was removing the rear wheels to gain good access, without having to resort to using a right- angle Phillips screwdriver, to the one screw head remaining in place on the shroud. Turns out you have to use an impact driver with a 7/16 socket to remove the rear wheels. Otherwise, when you turn the bolt head securing the rear wheel to the end of the rear axle, the rear axle turns but not the bolt head. Fortunately, I had both and got the new shroud, wheels, gorilla glued screws etc, etc. installed.

This plastic shroud, with the slots cut into it around the blade mounting shaft is an EXTREMELY poor design that has been carried over into the 2011 Cub walk behinds ( and every year since '04 ) and is the chief reason I will NEVER buy another Cub Cadet product. The amount of grass clippings always trapped between the metal mower deck and the plastic shroud is unreasonable and unacceptable. Cub Cadet products and their poor design suck ! :mad:

Cub Cadet ( MTD )is fully aware of this ongoinh design deficiency courtesy of many years of complaints from many dealers and do nothing to rectify the problem.

I urge others considering Cub Cadet to look elsewhere to spend their hard-earned dollars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts