My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok just on my way to work so won't get your reply till I get home in the AM.

So since I couldn't get my Yardworks 16.5hp Briggs & Stratton riding mower going in the spring I have done this so far. Oh and it is 4-5 years old.

1. Replaced battery as the old one would not accept a charge.
2. Replaced spark plug as the old one had just a weak orange spark.

After the first 2 things the mower will turn over but won't start

3. Added a dab of gas into spark plug hole to try to get it to start.
4. Took the air breather off for the carb and added gas directly into the carb.

A few things others have told me was it could be the fuel solenoid not letting gas into the engine but that should have been bypassed by me adding gas directly into the carb.

I have seen others while searching on internet that it could be the flywheel key but have not had the time to check that yet. Also not really set up to take that off.

Could I be missing a safety somewhere? Also I have old gas in it and in the 4-5 years I have had it I have not changed the air filter. Oil is good was changed last year.

I think thats it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I'd check the spark first. If you don't have spark, that'll narrow down the area of focus. If you do have spark, I'd check the flywheel key.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You said you had a weak orange spark with old sparkplug...assume new plug will also be sparking ? You've added fuel directly...and if it sounded normal cranking, [compression and not over speed cranking], then I'd say you will definitely need to look at the flywheel key, closely...No special tools to look...just big socket and wrench to hold the crank...**Exception, IMO, would be the opposed twin eng by Briggs...notorious for weak coils that will not spark when under compression, but will exhibit a test spark outside eng..or so I found....Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
doesnt make any sense it was running last year and then just doesnt run this year, keys dont go bad just from sitting. i say valves or fuel issue, it could also be that you have some friends under your shroud chewing up your wires causing a weak spark condition

·
Registered
730 Posts
I didn't notice where he said it was running last yr...and just doesn't this yr...I once hit a heavy batch of leaves in my last run, stalled the eng...Was finished. rolled it away to shed...come to find it had sheered the key when it stalled...Perhaps he'll let us know if it is the opposed twin... as coil would be suspect....IMO

·
Registered
157 Posts
I didn't notice where he said it was running last yr...and just doesn't this yr...I once hit a heavy batch of leaves in my last run, stalled the eng...Was finished. rolled it away to shed...come to find it had sheered the key when it stalled...Perhaps he'll let us know if it is the opposed twin... as coil would be suspect....IMO
leaves? really leaves? thats a sad sad story. I would have hired a lawyer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi sorry for the long delay. Have been away and busy at work. So yes I have a nice spark and there is gas in the line going into the engine. Putting gas directly into the carb does not work. Tomorrow night I will have some help to remove the bolt/nut on top of the flywheel so I can check the key.

Oh and as far as I remember it was running fine last year when I put it away. It is old gas in the tank from last year but don't see old gas doing it but maybe.

I plan on checking the flywheel key and then if not I will put new air filter and new gas and after that might be hauling it to the fixit shop.

Thanks for the help and patience people!

Edit: Don't think it is opposed twin but it is a 16.5hp briggs and stratton Yardworks. I will post again with the model # and more tech info in a bit.

Edit-2: Model #: 31A707874 Type G5 Code: 110219ZA

·
Registered
730 Posts
Your engine is single cylinder Intek series...Rather common....If, when you add gas to the carb, you're adding it to the air intake, and you do NOT get a attempted start up or pop...Then , like I said before, check that flywheel key...even thou you put it away running...and keys do not go bad sitting...nothing other than total lack of compression will cause this..IMO...However, if you are getting a "spurt" of running...then its a fuel issue..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No spurts of running just a little white smoke out the exhaust but no pops. Is it feasible to fix a compression issue myself in my little spare time or just take it to the shop?

A side not is that my rear (drive) wheels are locked up now even when I put it in neutral and take it out of park. Guess I will just take it to the shop and pay my dues!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Still hoping you have a simple flywheel key sheered...as 2nd choice of very low compression [so low as to not allow a pop]..would not be a sudden happening...IMO.
Key repair is quick, not dirty, and cheap...Wheels locked...try a squirt of wd40 on small brake disc caliper at right rear axel...and pry a screwdriver on it to free it up..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well checked the flywheel key and looks good. Put more gas into where the carb goes into the engine and nothing. Took plug out and it was covered in gas. Might have low compression. I am going to try taking the deck off... maybe by chance the safety for the deck is stopping it from starting. Will probably also drain the old gas and put supreme into the tank and carb and maybe even replace the air filter.

Any suggestions for low compression fix?

Thanks for the wheel fix will try that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K fixed the wheel thats great! Learning something at least :)

Took the deck of and then had to remove the cover off the motor as I had not
put in on correctly last time and the fins were catching on it. I had 3-4 missing before now I broke 2 more.

So after taking the deck off and then removing the cover and with the filter off as well ( forgot to put it on). I tried to start the mower which resulted in a loud backfire but didn't start. I put the filter back on and it just whirls as before and now it whirls for a bit then growls. Am charging the battery right now. Will try again later.

Does any of this make any sense? Is my filter plugged or maybe it was a safety on the deck? Sorry to be such a bother... don't really want to haul it to the fixit shop.

My neighbor who works on small engines now and then thought it might be a fuse.

Thanks again for everything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so the problem has been found. Neighbor came up to help check to see what was wrong. Finally checked the cover at the front and a pusher rod was missing. Turns out it was broken in half sitting inside. Not sure what caused it to break in half but hopefully by putting a new one in we will be good to go!

Thanks to everyone for their input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi! Long time no see. Been busy and pretty much rained for the last 7-9 days so haven't had much chance to get the mower going. I purchased a new intake push rod and got it installed. Had to get another button that goes on the end of the spring for the clip to push against. Started it right up after setting it! Leaking a bit of oil so had to get some black silicone gasket maker to seal the cover back on so oil wouldn't leak onto the muffler.

Just have to tighten up the cover now and let the silicone cure till tomorrow and I will be cutting grass!

Thanks for all the input and help; it was much appreciated.
Drew

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Thanks for being so clear and letting know each step. I'm sure this learning experience will help a lot of others as well! :cool

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I did get the lawn mowed! Spent another 10 min figuring out why the deck would not engage (belt not correctly around all pulleys). Then away we went.

Cheers,
Drew

1 - 19 of 19 Posts