My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Spring is here, and it's time to get out the ratchets, and get them all lubed up for the year. ;) I guess I just got cabin fever! Anyway, here's some pics; they're not great, but they're the best I could get. I used GM spec moly grease, and they sounds a lot quieter and smoother now; especially the RP Craftsmans, which were pretty rough before.

An overview.

Snap-Ring plier duty.

Various post-greasing pics.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Nothing beats some preventive maintenance. That's how you make things last, thanks for sharing your inspirational activity. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've done this same procedure with my dozen or so ratchets, and just used plain (synthetic) axle grease; seems to work fine, but what other lubricant might be a better choice?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just used GM moly grease, which is probably pretty close to what you used. I used to do it with light oil, but I think that the grease does a better job of protecting the pawl and the gear. It's quieter too! I think you're probably already using a good lube. :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Wow! How long have you had those? I bought a set about 2 years ago and all the drivers broke in a week.. All but the one I've never used that is..

I find those to be of an exceedingly cheep construction.. However I may have just unlucky..

I never even knew ratchets needed lubrication! I might do that myself to mine.

-Stan :2th:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Great DIY!!

I wouldn't have ever thought about lubricating my ratchets; good for you.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Austen! :ThumbUp: Hi there, Capstan! I've had the Craftsman RP's for about 4 years I think. They're not wonderful, and I like my Proto better, even though it's only got 24 teeth, but they get the job done. I got them right before Sears moved production to China, so maybe you got the newer China version, which I've heard are terrible. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I usually pull mine apart every couple of years, but I know I may have gone an extra year. Sometimes things tend to slip by. Luckily my Craftsman ratchets are before importing. I've only had them maybe 10-12 years. But you sure can tell the lack of refinement over the new Craftsman hand tools. The look like they've been sand cast in very rough sand and only finished in a few spots. One more decent product gone to crap because of sending production overseas...

L8R,
Matt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh yeah. I usually use Mystic JT-6 red grease in mine. But I do have an old tub of Ford spec hi-temp wheel bearing grease. Maybe I'll try that to see if there is any difference in smoothness or sound. Either grease should be perfectly fine, but I can't leave things alone and I love tinkering!!

L8R,
Matt

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey there! I've tried various things in my ratchets, and I've found that pretty much any thick grease works fine. I tried light oil too, but it wasn't as smooth. It's too bad about Craftsman going to China; I don't even take the time to go to Sears any more and drool in the tool department.:(

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I badly need to do that to mine. Also need to empty out my tool box and go over everything in it and repaint the box while I'm at it. The side tool box on our service truck at work developed a leak and my metal toolbox ended up setting in a puddle of water. I did not figure out until later a small amount had made it inside the bottom of my tool box. :bag: Add a little trapped humidity and it does not take long to start everything in there rusting. I'm not a fan of plastic tool boxes but that day I wish I had one of them instead of metal.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, humidity is a killer for tools. My grandfather has a toolbox that he's had on his boat for many years, and when he unloaded it to clean it up recently, there must have been 1/2 an inch of rust in the bottom. :eek:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I used to field strip all my ratchets at work once a year to clean and lube them. The guys I worked with thought I was nuts until they used one of my ratchets.
I don't buy new ratchets any more, their crap. I look for them at flea markets or yard sales.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts