My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I picked up for free a HTM215 Serial# MZBB 6042129 that I cannot seem to get the "two" speeds to opeate.
I get one speed to work-but cannot tell if it is the slow or fast speed.
What is the proper way to check/adjust the shift cable?
I have the manual, but cannot get the jist of "pull shift lever back and it should center over the #1"
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
The higher of the two speeds is a pretty quick walking pace. The slower is pretty leisurely. I'll take a look at the manual I have on the HRM215 tomorrow and see if I can make sense of it.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I read the manual again, and took a look at the transmission and handle I have sitting out in the garage.

Can you hear your transmission "clicking" into both gears? The lever on the transmission moves front to back and "clicks" at either end of its limits. The cable sheath is held in a fixed position at the transmission end, so the amount of travel you can get in the cable is set at the handle end. If it isn't clicking into both gears, you have to sort of fiddle with the adjustment end to get the cable to move as far as it needs to get the gears to click into place. Hope that makes some sense.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear the lever clicking-not the transsmission.
I replace the lever (broke it)and it looks all OK as far as movement.
I never had it running to see if both speeds worked.
When in speed "2" (or 1) with engagement handle pulled and motor not running I cannot roll the mower backwards.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Yep, you shouldn't be able to pull it backwards with the lever engaged. That's a good sign. It means the transmission is engaging and the ratchet keys are locking against the pinion gears like they should. When you roll the mower forward, with the lever disengaged, you should hear a clicking sound from the drive wheels. That means the ratchet keys are free and clicking against the inside of the pinion gears. That's as it should be.

Without actually starting the mower and trying the transmission out, it's hard to say if you need any adjustment or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fiddled around again and cannot get fast speed to work. Can make nothing work really easy. I guess slow speed will have to do. I hoped there was an "initial " setup guide line to go by when assembled or cable replacement was done.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
How about trying this. Disconnect the cable all together and, with the mower off, of course, try moving the selector lever on the transmission itself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like that idea. Can the lever be accessed from underneath the mower? Is the tranny easily removed?

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Have you actually had the mower running? If it isn't running, you wouldn't be able to tell any difference between 1st and 2nd any way. Just that it's in a gear when you try to pull it backwards with the drive lever activated at the handle.

But to answer your question, yes, you should be able to access the lever, and to remove the transmission, pour yourself some coffee, review the shop manual, and prepare to spend some time in the garage. Nothing hard about it, just a lot of stuff to remove, and it takes some time.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
If your like me I recommend taking photos as you go just in case something does not fit back together or seems to be an extra part when your done. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep I have it running good as a matter of fact.
Nice mower Hondas are.
Will have to look closer at the lever on the tranny.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I need to look at the higher speed-the son thinks low is tooooo sloooooow.
Man they do run good.
Do all walk behind cut a bit on the short side?
I have it set at the second from the highest and and I would like the grass longer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts