My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never, never, never assume a cork float in a LawnBoy carb. is OK. After completely redoing a nice LawnBoy mower, new seals, new reed, new paint, the darn carb started flooding and leaking, all over my new paint, yuck.

I put it in a pail of gasoline and it sank like a stone. I then tried out a couple others I had hanging around and they did float, exchanged the float and the carb is doing fine now.

Always test your float. Put some gas in a small bowl and see if it floats. The end with the metal end will be below level, thats OK.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Good tip and hope your paint is ok!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The old Lawn-Boy Cork floats can be replaced with modern Plastic floats.. I don't remember the part number, But it's a replacement for a TORO "R-Tek" (Duraforce) Snow Blower float.. I've done it to a couple of machines and it worked great..

-Kori

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Yeah, it would definitely be better to have a plastic float instead of a cork one. Somehow, I can't see cork being an ideal material for a fuel system component.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Hi! Cork floats have been used for a long time but they do have their limitations. The coating can wear out, especially if you clean the float with carb cleaner a lot or soak it in cleaner. Floats are not that expensive at about $10.00. Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts