My Lawnmower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nashville has the craziest system of Interstate Highways I have ever seen. It makes driving through Chicago seem like a cake walk, but then, maybe that's because I've been around Chicago a bit more.

Anyway, we did head downtown Nashville and strolled along Broadway. What a hoot. People were shoulder to shoulder and music coming from every direction. We went into Legends Corner and Tootsies. Even if you don't like country music, there's no way to avoid tappin' your foot in Nashville.
Legends Corner
Tootsies World Famous Orchid Lounge in Downtown Nashville

Dropped into a couple of micro breweries. Yazoo and Jackalope and enjoyed a taste of their fare.
Yazoo Brewing Company - A Southern Original Since 2003
Jackalope Brewing Company

Then, while walking between those two breweries, we caught a whiff of BBQ and ran over to Peg Legged Pig for some excellent dry rub ribs. Mmmm.

· Super Moderator
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Cloudy an rain the first day, but clear and gorgeous here in the Smoky Mountains today. Absolutely beautiful!

Hey Eric, this is what I meant when I said we were going a little smaller. :)
View attachment 15650
Nice and cozy, and a great conversation starter. The guy in the 5th wheel asked how we made up a bed in there:). It actually sleeps 4.

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Sounds like great fun in Nashville! :2th:

· Super Moderator
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Where do you suppose you would go to see the Titanic on one side of the street and King Kong hanging on the side of a sky scraper on the other? Pigeon Forge, TN!

Staying in Smoky Mountain park. Just plain stunningly beautiful.

Tried some " shine" before breakfast. Starting to think I might have an issue. :p

Gatlinburg is a super interesting and fun town. Going to trek part of the Appalachian Trail. I found the perfect T shirt to commemorate the event. I WALKED THE ENTIRE width OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL.

Bennet's BBQ for lunch, and maybe more shine.😝
View attachment 15658

· Administrator
6,319 Posts
Good to see your on your way Bruce! :ThumbUp:

Last time I was down that far South was 20 years ago to a satellite TV dealers and installers convention at Opryland. It was record breaking heat and humidity while we were there so we stayed inside most of the time. Still lots to see there even inside.

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Sounds like alot of fun! That trailer is huge!! Perfect size in traffic though!

· Super Moderator
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
It has been fun! We spent 4 days in the Smoky Mountains and it was absolutely gorgeous. Gatlinburg is very touristy, but tastefully so. Many of the smaller restaurants in the outlying areas weren't open for the season yet, but we were lucky enough that Little River Bar Be Que in Townsend, TN had just opened up the day we went through. The food was delicious, the waitress a sweetheart, and the view off the dining room porch was beautiful.

We stopped in Asheville, NC at Luella's BarBQ. Turns out it was opened by a hog farmer named Yoder who was from Kalona, IA using his grand mother's recipes! Who better to know good pork than an Iowa hog farmer? Had it with fried okra and collard greens. Good stuff.

Then off for a somewhat frantic drive across SC to Charleston. Seemed like everybody else was heading that was too, but today we're sitting on the beach on James Island looking out at the Atlantic.

Life is good!

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Bruce, ya living the dream!! Happy to hear you are seeing this great country! Now you know why I love to drive truck!! :)

Reactions: bwdbrn1

· Premium Member
365 Posts
Bruce! Glad your wife finally caught up with your retirement so you can enjoy it together. Glad your enjoying your vacation and your travels. Bill

Reactions: bwdbrn1

· Super Moderator
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Charleston was a fantastically beautiful city filled with so many historical sites and fabulous homes! Fiery Ron's Home Team BBQ had the best we've had so far, and for those so inclined, The Tradesman Brewery just had it's grand opening and are making some fine brew. For some more good stuff, stop in to the Holy City Brewery in North Charleston too.

We forced ourselves to leave Charleston and picked out a town in S/E Georgia called St. Mary's. If you like to camp and you're in this neck of the woods, stay at the Crooked River State Park. Great campgrounds taken care of by a dedicated team of volunteers. Lots of nice hiking trails too. Pop on in to Lang's Seafood Market Restaurant for outstanding shrimp and scallops. Delicious! Head over to Amelia Island and the town of Fiernadina Beach, FL and visit the oldest bar in Florida. There's other neat sights there too.

We took a day trip down to St. Augustine, FL while in the area. Again, I can't say enough about the beauty and history. The A1A Ale house serves up some fantastic shrimp and lobster tacos, yum, and their IPA ain't bad either.

Yesterday we headed over to Panama City, FL. Another fine state campground, St. Andrews State Park. Today was the first Monday Judy didn't have to be back to the office and a mountain of work that no one else will do following a two week vacation and she celebrated it by sitting with her toes in the water and a** in the sand on the Gulf of Mexico. She said she doesn't hate Mondays any more.

Life is good.

· Premium Member
5,899 Posts
Man, you are so close, I can feel the northern air you brought with you ;) Been to Fernandina beach and Amelia Island, very nice up there. We try to get St Augustine once a year or so. Glad you guys are enjoying the Florida weather which is very nice right now.
Remember, if you cruise through Lake County, stop by and throw a rock at me while I'm out on the tractor :p
You and Judy have fun!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.