My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ken N TX sent me this, now this is some snow in 1939, showing off there snow plows back in the day. wow, how times have changed.
He said that DrBailey was in the film, but I didnt see me.:sidelaugh
Five points, here is some snow for you
hope you enjoy the good ole days

·
Administrator
6,296 Posts
Watching that reminded me of the time my grandfather and I went to check on the farm after the blizzard of the late 70's. Between drifting and the county plow truck there was about 3-4' of snow blocking the entrance to the lane. After about 3 hours of hand shoveling grandpa was able to at least get his 65 Malibu out of the neighbors lane and off the road. Fortunately the rest of the lane was only about a foot or so deep most of the way on to the house. We had several bushel of potatoes in the cellar from the garden along with some other produce that were getting close to freezing that my grandmother was worried about. So my uncle took up his heavy duty Econoline work van with me, dad two other uncles and grandfather all piled inside and with a set of big snow tires plowed snow with the bumper to the house and saved the potatoes. :sidelaugh

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:ditto:

Finally got the chance to sit down and watch the video in it's entirety.

Amazing how pure stubborn and tenacious folks were back then. Can you imagine how ramming that stuff repeatedly took it's toll on equipment (and operators)?? We seemed to be allot tougher back then ;)
:sidelaugh If you noticed , the rear of the truck bed would lift upon impact atleast a foot or more. OH my aching back!

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
Too bad they couldn't record sound back then. The narrator keeps referring to what it must have been like too. I bet that exhaust was pretty loud, and I can imagine what it was like when that big plow slammed into that wall of snow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.