My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've started my Snapper restoration project. I am keeping it low-budget, but here is the progress so far. I started out with a fairly solid and complete mower, as well as another unit that was complete, less the self-propel components (they were all removed except for the rear axle). Unfortunately, no "Before" pic, but here's the progress.

The deck has about 6 coats of paint on it, followed by wet-sanding & power buffing the final coat. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but the pics are a bit flattering... in person it's not as pretty as it looks here. I started some of the assembly, and will probably invest in new wheels all around for it, and probably a new self-propel drive disc. I was going to get new decals for it, and when I was about to attack the SNAPPER sticker for removal, I realized it had a clear coating on it so I decided to just leave it on, and I just peeled off the clear coating after painting the bracket. The front wheel bracket is somewhat beat-up in the front. I straightened it out as good as I could with what I had to work with, and decided the existing sticker would have to do. And btw, that's not a crappy masking job of the sticker... what looks like red paint on the sticker is actually where the sticker is chipped & peeled off. I may go back with some black paint to touch that up a bit, but given the condition of this piece, it's a matter of "turd polishing".

The Honda 3813 lawn tractor is a distraction that I picked up today, and is part of the reason I scaled back my grandiose plans for the Snapper. The Snapper was to be my winter project, but I think the Honda will now fill that position. Anyway, enjoy the pics. I will take more as it progresses.

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
Nice !! The black plastic parts can be sprayed with Armor All and wiped down ... will look brand new , BUT , TAKE IT OFF AND KEEP AWAY FROM NEW PAINT FOR A FEW DAYS it will cause fish -eye ....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, and thanks for that tip Commercial King! I was thinking about trying AA for the plastic parts. I will remove the recycle cover before proceeding with the Armor All treatment. I used to work at Toyota, and they were crazy serious about keeping ANYTHING with silicone in it away from the paint shop. Not sure if AA has silicone in it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the project with us. :2th:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks good:cool What paint did you use? I have one almost exactly like yours and would like to paint it over this winter. I'm thinking of using spray on bed liner in the can on the underside of the deck, maybe on the sides too since I have a fence I mow along around the perimiter of my yard. The sides of my mowers get pretty banged up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts