My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was mowing and mower quit moving forward. Put it neutral and could not move it. When I stood it on end the rear tires would turn in opposite direction. I did get a smoke from rubber burning when I started it and put it in gear. Through research I found that this is a broken drive chain. Tore it apart and no broken chain. I did find that the drive wheel gear had seized needle bearing and would not turn. Could this be the problem. I did replace the bearings and everything spins good. I do have the rear end up on jack stands in neutral and wheels still turn opposite. When I put the rear tires on and set it down should I be able to roll it. I am waiting on 1 more part and can't try it

Thanks,
Rodney

Mod3314518BE

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If the drive wheel was seized the rubber from the wheel would be burning from the drive disk spinning on it. Make sure you didn't burn a flat spot on the rubber drive wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did replace the drive wheel. i have the rear end sitting on jack stand waiting on a bearing collar and i was wondering if it is normal for the rear wheels to turn opposite direction and would the seized needle bearing have caused my original problem stated in my first post. How much 00 lube go's back in and does the lube travel through the boots to the axle bearings or do you grease them.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I believe you stand the mower up on end and fill the differential up to the bottom of the fill hole. On the older models you lubricate the left axle through the fitting. The right axle is lubricated through the transmission. The later models may have sealed bearings on the left side with no fitting where as the right side would still be lubricated through the transmission.
This is to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe you stand the mower up on end and fill the differential up to the bottom of the fill hole.
The gear housing hooked to the right fender has two holes for topping off the 00 oil. While your rer is standing on it's rear, remove both rubber plugs on the housing and fill through the top hole. When it begins to run out the bottom hole, it's full.

The center gear housing only has one plug hole which you fill through and then stop when it runs out past the bottom edge.

Buy some new plugs before you try as often they are old enough to crack or tear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did replace the drive wheel. i have the rear end sitting on jack stand waiting on a bearing collar and i was wondering if it is normal for the rear wheels to turn opposite direction and would the seized needle bearing have caused my original problem stated in my first post. How much 00 lube go's back in and does the lube travel through the boots to the axle bearings or do you grease them.
The wheels do turn in opposite directions when setting up on the rear.

How much 00 oil depends on how much leaked out. It sort of has a steady leak. It leaks from the gear housings into the axle area, lubing the axles inside and out. The rubber boots keep the leaked oil clean.

It's probably a good idea to top off the 00 oil level each year until you learn how much yours leaks and loses each year.

I'm not sure about your bearing question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just want to be sure about one thing. On the left rear there is no fitting. Does this require grease for the axle bearing or does the 00 grease lubricate it through the boot.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I believe your model (later models-Series 18) the bearings are sealed bearings and do not require grease on the left side. I think it mentioned that in the manual as well. Sounds like you are getting close ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Five Points. Got it back together yesterday but when I went to slide on the right side axle seal that has the hose clamp on it, the cap was full of grease or thick old 00 lube. The bearing did look like a sealed unit but just wanted to be sure.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
No problem. Noticed Merritt Island, I lived on Banana River Drive when I was younger, I'm in Lake County now. :)

·
Registered
Snapper RER
2 Posts
No problem. Noticed Merritt Island, I lived on Banana River Drive when I was younger, I'm in Lake County now. :)
When I stand my 2812523bve on end gear fluid runs out of small hole on small end of differential case. doesn't make sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts