My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Above noted mower purchased new, mid '90's. Replaced engine 2004, Aside from usual issues, machine has been pretty good. A few days ago, was cutting lawn, as usual. Blades suddenly stopped as they would when the belt breaks. On inspection, the belt was OK. Nothing I tried would start the blades. ENGINE RAN FINE, MOWER DROVE FINE, BLADES NO, Following day, had the local shop pick up the mower for repair. Mower was driven onto the trailer, and away it went. Got a call saying the Clutch Brake had gotten "very hot" and was now seized to the point the engine can/will not start. Hmmm... Furthermore, I was told that Snapper part #7053740 is what is needed, and it's been discontinued by Snapper. I was offered a "good deal" on a new mower. Hmmmm... My mower was returned, now not running at all. Poking around the web, I came across this site: Snapper Electric Clutch The fourth item down is the very 7053740 that I'm supposed to need, and was told it "couldn't be found anywhere." I've also noted the price, with shipping, is about 1/3 the cost I was told the item would cost, were it available. Hmmmmm.... My questions are, is the diagnosis correct? Do these brake / clutch item fail this way? Is replacing one a big deal? Advice?

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
..... My questions are, is the diagnosis correct?
Do these brake / clutch item fail this way?
Bearings can seize in them. Not exactly though what one would expect to hear from the shop when you had a bit of the opposite problem going in the shop with it not staying locked up to the blades. But I suppose while they were running it trying to figure out what was going on it could very well have went ahead and locked up. Maybe vibration from the bearing going out initially caused the loss of electrical connection or damaged the interior windings of the clutch. :confused:

Their comment about "not being able to find one anywhere" I suspect translates to "none of our parts distributors we have accounts with carries a replacement for it."

Is replacing one a big deal?....
Depends on your definition of a big deal, your mechanical ability, the size of your tool box, and patients for working on things yourself. ;)

I've never had to change one myself so I cannot offer first hand experience. But some things to consider is they are generally not in the easiest place to get to with hands and wrenches. They can get stuck pretty good to the engine crankshaft. Might need to use some sort of a puller to get it broke loose. Worse case might even need to take the engine partly loose from it's mounts as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. New part ordered and is expected to arrive early this coming week. Initial inspection appears the change-out should be fairly straightforward. Will wait to compare the new & old C/B assembly before getting serious with the weapons. LOL Will update when completed. Thanks again...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: New clutch/brake arrived. Removing the old one, however was quite an ordeal, that ended up having to use a lerge gear puller to get it off the engine shaft. Installation of the replacement was easy. The mower deck was removed to facilitate the work and upon inspection prior to reinstalling, I discovered the lower retaining ring, (#7010740) which guides the Arm, brake, (#7036222), had worn almost to being non-existent. The hole in the arm was quite misshapen which prevented free movement. A pair of rings and a new arm was ordered from PARTSTREE.COM. Once these arrived, the mower was quickly reassembled and now seems to be running as well as ever. Mission accomplished.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts