My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm resealing the Briggs 11hp engine that was on my 70s Comet 26. While it's out I want to install electric start as this one has recoil and a spot for a starter and already has an alternator on top. I want to install as much of the original Comet electric start parts as possible. I have an ignition switch panel from an old Snapper. It has two holes though, a place for the ignition switch and another hole the same size. What would go there? Does anyone have a photo of the ignition panel on their old Snapper? It looks like it goes behind the seat.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
The other hole should be a push button for the starter switch. The plate looks to actually be galvanized and mounts under the seat on the angled bracket opposite of the battery location. I'll see if I can get a picture unless someone posts one first.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have the ignition plates stayed the same over the years? I was never able to identify the series of my Snapper Comet 26. I just want to make sure I purchase the right ignition panel. I've seen a few of them on EBAY some just straight metal and even some covered in a white safety decal both having two holes and looking the same. But I don't know if it's safe to just buy any one because I want it to be right and work. So the only wiring diagram that I have is in the downloadable manual for the 2650-3080S. It calls the second hole in the panel an interlock. What exactly is that? You said it was a push button. Why would they have a key switch, push button, and a recoil starter pull? What about the neutral switch? Where do I get that now?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I believe the plates remained the same. I will try to look at the rer storage yard I have and get a picture or two. I had some with a push button and key switch, some just had wires coming out of the other hole. The interlock I've seen was mounted on the frame under the panel. Snapper was good about having the redundancy of a pull recoil starter and electric start. That practice went into the later years as well. Neutral safety switch? eBay or Google some part#s from the parts manual and see if someone offers a superseded one or salvage one from a donor if you can find one close enough to your model. A lot of parts stayed the same through the years.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just noticing something looking at this 3080s wiring diagram. Where is the starter solenoid in all this? The wiring of the old interlock system looks very simple. I just need to see what the ground spring, idler arm, and neutral switch look like so I know if I see one it will be the right one before I purchase it. Also mine has been repowered to an 1982 Briggs 11hp which already has a alternator, and a stop switch wire coming off of the coil. Where does the stop switch wire even plug into?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts