My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been Meaning to make this thread for while, Its about Any pet peeves you may have.. I'll post mine and you all can post yours below!

If this thread gets popular It might even become a sticky!

Here we go.

1. Hard to reach/badly located oil drains..
Have you ever worked on an engine with a oil drain in an annoying place, My friends and I worked on his tractor and the oil plug was so close to engine that when you unscrewed it the oil drained all over the front of the tractor and all over the frame making a huge mess if you didn't tip the engine on its side..

2. Use of multiple sized of bolt head/Obscure Bolts

Y'know what I love? Taking a whole machine apart with one or two wrenches... Instead of a whole tool box of both Metric and Imperial, and multiple screwdrivers/snap ring pliers etc..

Have fun below!

Cheers!
-Capstan

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I really hate complicated, flimsy weather shields on snow engines. The last time I set the valves on a Briggs 1150, it took 45 minutes to figure out all the bouncy, ill fitting plastic guards, held together with self-tapping screws! Not to mention the impossible location of some of the bolts holding the valve cover on. And they weren't all the same size! :angry::sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
You both hit some good ones!! Dad has a few! First,how hard it is to remove/install a small tractor tire!! He has fits! He even went so far as to run one tire over with truck to brake bead, did not work! My friend Bob loaned him proper slide hammer, he loves that!
I love the MTD three belt drive! WHAT A PAIN!! Then the Kohler tin bolts on CV12-15 on JD's. They like to break on you!! :(

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Stuck flywheels and complex throttle/governor linkage assemblies.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fuel shutoff solenoids. Didn't need them on the old riding mowers. Why do they need them now? Probably the cheapening and complication of the fuel system design, which makes it more expensive to the customer but shouldn't be needed in the first place.

Also manufacturers trying to make riding mowers more and more like driving your car. I wouldn't mind power steering, but cup holders, onboard MP3 players etc..? I would gladly give them all up for a small O.E.M. toolbox or storage area onboard. If I need a drink that bad, I will drive back to the house and get one. If I was that bored doing yard work, I would go into the house and listen/watch something.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Manufacturers trying to make riding mowers more and more like driving your car. I wouldn't mind power steering, but cup holders, onboard MP3 players etc..? I would gladly give them all up for a small O.E.M. toolbox or storage area onboard. If I need a drink that bad, I will drive back to the house and get one. If I was that bored doing yard work, I would go into the house and listen/watch something.
I completely agree.. It's a Mower for Pete's sake.. I don't get even power steering.. If you really cant turn a little steering wheel then you shouldn't own a riding mower...

Inbuilt MP3?!?! You must be joking! Just more unsafe distractio... Wait was that the dog?

-Stan

·
Registered
23 Posts
No real peeves aside from some catch 22's.......

Catch 22 #1 -Briggs & Stratton classic block engines with the post 1959-era layout (muffler on one side, oil filter on the other....the problem with this is, when I need to flip the mower on it's side to change the blade or access the oil drain plug....unless it's a Snapper or Homelite or someone else who puts the engine "Sideways), it's a total catch 22.....do gunk up my carb with oil? Or do I smoke mosquitos out of the yard for a few mins while I do the first few stripes after installing a new blade? My Tecumseh/Eager-1 is not like that.

Pet Peeve #1 - "Flip-Top" Grass Catchers, never seen one done right on any consumer piece of equipment except the highest of the high end. My 3+ Bushel 80's MTD catcher has it, and I get better grass catching now that I cable-tied that thing shut. I also had a Lawn-Boy 8125P when I was a teenager with one, so hard to remove it was easier just to get all the grass out of the little 6"X5" hole for the input!

PEt Peeve #3 - Heavy wheels, light height adjuster assemblies. My friend has a Craftsman with 2 huge plastic ball bearing wheels on the back, on these little...weedy height adjusters....already one side has negative camber from being turned so much. Meahwhile, I have a 20-something year old clunker MTD, it's little 8" steel ball bearing rear wheels are heavier, and the worst thing that happened to me was a 10 cent lock bolt came off...no bending at all! Also saw the same problem with a modern brute mower (Weak rear height adjusters).

Catch 22 #3 - Plastic Shrouds (ie. Briggs Max, Quantum, Intek, and Vanguard). On one hand, in the case of the Max, Quantum, and Intek, it is nice to have a bigger gas tank, on the other hand, it sucks when I need to put on a new recoil clutch or pull rope. A briggs classic....3-4 screws and off comes the shroud, Briggs Max, 2 screws for the finger guard, 3 + a bolt w/ spacer for the gas tank/shroud, and TWO clips/spacers for the throttle wire, and then 3 more for the blower housing. Quantums around the same.....turns a recoil repair into a 45 minute ordeal sometimes. Tecumseh has them beat by only needing 2-3 screws and only the recoil removed....but it also needs a new rope more often from having to tug on it so much!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another of my pet peeves is multi-speed walk behind transmissions (other than Gravely). Except for personal pace and the like, others have three speeds.....
1. So slow you burn a tank of fuel by the third pass.
2. Jog-You get your yard done and work up a good sweat.
3. Full out run-Useful if you are training for football training camp or a marathon. Not so much if you have a bad back, knee or otherwise incapacitated.

If you have a Lawnboy, start at 2. and add a 4. .
4. Running next to a Nascar racer. You get your half acre yard done in time that is faster than if you were on a riding mower.

Too bad they don't make a variable transmission for walk behinds that can be adjusted and governed by the operator and not the RPM of the engine and gearing.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Too bad they don't make a variable transmission for walk behinds that can be adjusted and governed by the operator and not the RPM of the engine and gearing.
They Do, It's called the "Personal Pace".. Toro makes it.. It's the greatest thing since Rubbing two sticks together... Unless you like manual Transmissions

-Stan

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I love mine! Best mower I have had! Glad my friend sold it to me and I kept it!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice Machine Eric!

I've used one of these... They are so smooth they make the Homeowner Personal Pace look Lurchy by comparison..

The Commercial Use a Different Transmission..

On the Homeowner You Move the whole transmission to tighten the belt.. Thereby creating an infinite range of drive speeds by way of Belt slip..

The Commercial Units Have an Always tight belt turning a fixed trans-axle with a Differential..

When You Push the handle on the Commercial machine you press discs together inside the oil filled Trans-axle..

Here is the Machine I'm Referring to.

-Stan

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Kori, sounds like a nice machine! My buddy got it from a neighbor,so sold it to me cheap. I kept it, nice mower!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My pet peeve-Trying to identify a mower with no identification plates or stickers. I have a Lawnboy Buttercup with a C-77 engine but there is no id plate on the rear of the deck and no indication that there ever was one. No empty rivet holes, no raised portion of the deck. Can't figure out which model it is and/or what year.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Oh that's a good one!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
motor, try it when it is still hot! Don't ask...........;)
Me be clumsy! :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Carburetors. :angry:

With ethanol fuel, tiny passageways, gunked up jets, and sloppy choke designs, enough is enough.

Bring on the fuel-injection, and HURRY up.

Read about one system that doesn't even need a battery to run the electronics. It could make "just enough" power from pull on the recoil to energize the brain and make the fuel-injection work just fine.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: Once they figure out how to get it cheap and simple, so that it'll work for mainstream small engines, it'll be great. So many less parts and things to go wrong! :cool

1 - 20 of 34 Posts