My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought myself a small 2 stroke engine that fits a bicycle frame off of ebay a few months ago. Being the sucker for things that are a bit odd and off the wall, I thought it was kind of a neat looking contraption and should be fun if I get e few things figured out.

It's called an MX-5 Superbike, and from what little I can find on the internet, they were available in the 90s, but sadly, no more.

I'm hoping that somebody can help me out with a bit more information, especially something like a copy of the manual that had originally come with them. I joined a forum for such things, but they don't seem to be a warm and fuzzy bunch. Not like here at all. Lots of views of my intro and question, but not one response from anyone on either.

Anyway, the engine has a handle bar twist throttle with a stop switch, and a neat set up that looks like a coil over shock activated by a lever that pivots the whole engine to drop a friction wheel down onto the back tire of the bike to propel it.

Here's a couple of pictures I borrowed form the net to show you what one looks like all set up. Sure hope I can get this thing to work someday, though I'm a little skeptical about spark right now. It sure should be hoot if it works.

Tire Bicycle Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire

I sure hope somebody here can help me out.

· Registered
50 Posts
Hello! Looks like something fun. Of course the first question is have you fueled it up yet and tried to start it? I did a little searching after I read your post and watched a couple of youtube videos. The reason I'm even interested is because it's something I've thought about from time to time. I've seen similar ones before. Going back as far as the 60's even. Cox (model engines) even made one decades ago. Kid down the street had one.
Hopefully the previous owner of yours ran the fuel out and the carb isn't clogged. Only one way to find out. Looks very simple. Shouldn't be too much to get set up and running.

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had to locate a gas tank for it and it seems to need something more to attach it to the bike frame. So I'd really like to find a copy of a manual for it.

It looks super clean, but has obviously run and been used.

I took the plug out, used a drill to spin it over, but didn't get any sign of spark, so I'm skeptical about the ignition, but I'm still anxious to get it mounted and try it out.

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
What a unique moped! :2th: The engine is tiny!
I like the look of the frame on the bike too. It would be neat if you can find the matching bike for it.

. I joined a forum for such things, but they don't seem to be a warm and fuzzy bunch. Not like here at all. Lots of views of my intro and question, but not one response from anyone on either.
Frustrating!

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Internet searches for MX-5 Superbike turns up all sorts of information on people who are evidently dropping motorcycle engins into their Mazda Miatas! Not much on tiny bicycle engines though.

I have a blue Schwinn Hollywood that would be a candidate for the engine, but the bike's frame is a much smaller diameter than the engine's mounting hardware. That's what is making me think there is more needed and the instruction manual would be handy to have to see what that might be.

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you're right about that. It must not have been a marketing success, or there were problems with it that made it so.

I did get one response. Another member suggested that the engine may have been the same as a Homelite 33cc. I'll have to do some more research on that to see if there is any possibility of parts interchangeability.

· Premium Member
9,020 Posts
I searched same Bruce, no real good hits. I know of a small Spanish man who would love this on our rides!!

· Registered
2 Posts
I still have my MX5 engine that I bought new in 1992.They would sell them by putting ads in the back of magizines and such, that's where I bought mine. I remember they were expensive for the time...something like $250 (1992 dollars). I also still have the manual it came with if you need any info. Email is [email protected]

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still have my MX5 engine that I bought new in 1992.They would sell them by putting ads in the back of magizines and such, that's where I bought mine. I remember they were expensive for the time...something like $250 (1992 dollars). I also still have the manual it came with if you need any info. Email is [email protected]
I gave up on trying to get the thing running a few years ago and dropped it off at a local junk yard during spring clean up in our Township.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts