My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old HRX217HXA MAGA 1119146. Bought it new in 2003. It always had a very fast forward speed when the hydrostatic transmission was engaged. I had to run to keep up.

Recently I let my son use it and afterwards it would only move at a crawl at full forward on the lever.
He admitted that he pushed the speed lever full forward and was using the clutch to control the forward speed even though I went over with him the correct operation befor starting. I was able to adjust the drive cable to get at least a casual pace with the lever full forward.

Earlier this month I replaced the hydrostatic fluid. I gave it a good flush and carefully filled per the service manual. Nothing changed and today I replaced the original drive belt and still nothing changed.

Is this transmission toast?
I was hoping to replace a few parts and give this to another son. The engine starts first pull and plows through 8" over grown grass with out even bogging down. I feel it has a few years left.
Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Earlier this month I replaced the hydrostatic fluid.
It is possible that the oil level is not correct and needs to be bled/topped up. Did you actively pump out the reserve? See the video below. Did you use the correct Honda Hydrostatic oil?

Reactions: Rob MacRuger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went by the Honda shop manual although I did watch this video and one or two others before. I'm confident the air bubbles are completely gone and the fluid level is correct. Nothing changed after the fluid replacement.

I could try again but cringe when thinking about the transmission belt adjustment spring. I takes me as long to get that hooked as it does to take apart and put back together all the other parts needed for this.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Have you already done this?

The HRX has a self-drive cable adjusting screw mounted on the speed control panel. Before adjusting, set the speed to high. The adjusting screw has a lock nut that must be loosened and backed off to allow for the cable slack take-up. When adjusting, pull the cable until the cable slack is gone, run in the lock nut, and tighten.

Adjust – Set speed to high, loosen the lock nut, and pull the cable.

Loosen – You’ll need two 10mm or 3/8 wrenches or adjustable wrenches.

Tighten lock nut – pull out the slack and tighten. Test reverse and readjusts if necessary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well sir it wasn't a quick fix dodging the intermittant rain here but I did exactly as you said and after a test it is almost back to like it was when new. New it was 4 MPH, now it is feeling 3+ MPH. Close enough for me as I can't walk normal at that speed. I'll do the 30' test in the Honda manual.
Thank you very much!

Now what the heck did my son do to cause this?

Only thing left to being ready to gift to my other son is the noisy blade holder bearing 91102-VA4-013. Only $20 if I can find one in stock.

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts