My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This baby is my newest mower, and a ZT at that....so I have much to learn.....driving and mechanics.
Her S/N, from memory is 01020, the year...unknown.
As with an automobile, I'll have to change the fluids and adjust things.....for a 8 to 10 year old, shes in good condition....IMO...
A LB zt, 4 years old, and an Ariens , and a new Toro MX were beaten out in the buying competition....and a Dixon...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone ???
I will have to find a livelier forum....but then, most men do have better things to do during this time of the year..
She is seeping hydraulic fluid from the reservoirs; other than new units, which may be too hard to find and too expensive, I'll try some ribbon dope on the threads....this may work, or it may not...its not a good design...too cheap.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Didn't appear to be any question involved in your initial post. Looked more like an intro with a description.
As far as your hydro issue, I believe it was addressed in your other post here,
http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/24-simplicity/9529-seepage-hydraulic-fluid.html
Sounds like the pipe thread tape may work if your dealing with a pipe thread on your fixture otherwise the fittings would have O-rings I would think.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hi, yea looked like you were just telling everyone you got a new toy!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If the fitting has a a small groove at the base and there is a flat ridge on the inside of the thread chase on the unit, it probably had an o-ring. If you haven't taken it apart yet you may find an old degrading o-ring still in there or it may have been installed incorrectly from the get go from the previous owner/factory.
One other thought if you replace the o-ring, make sure you use the correct type for the fluid you are using otherwise a cheap one might degrade rapidly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see no Oring at the two reservoirs; I think we have excessive pressure here...I think..
Simplicity has , as yet, been of no help.
I have found a good blade and oil filter source, but no service manual - yet.
The source for filters ?
My stash !
The Simplicity uses the same filter (oil) as the Saab ....thanks to those who post....

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Wow, a Saab, some cross reference ;) Might be your bypass or relief valves may be sticking or possibly over filled?

Even though the Saab filter fit, is there any difference in flow rates or internal restrictions?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:ditto: With the filter, just because it fits doesn't mean it has the same internal characteristics.
True, but I trust the cross-referring and BITOG...and I have been doing this for years....never a problem, other than my own dumb mistakes...
Fram does get some very bad press...yet they still dominate the Wally-World shelves..
Wix
Purolater
ChampionLabs
"all the same???"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts