My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 5116 special. I believe it has a 38" deck but could possibly be 40". I do know it has three blades. I burnt a belt off yesterday trying to cut too tall of grass, so I spent all afternoon putting on a new belt today. There's two problems: when engaging the blades, the pulley for the middle blade is rubbing against some sort of guide bar causing it to shoot sparks because of the metal on metal contact. (that's the biggest problem) second: when I try to release the blades, the pulley in the middle (I guess the tensioner pulley) doesn't want to release enough slack off the belt, causing the main pulley (which is always spinning while motor is running) to rub against the belt making it burn and start smoking. I'm trying to figure this out on my own before I take it down to the simplicity shop but I don't know what to do. I can take pictures if I need to show the pulley/guide bar problem. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a very similar problem on my 5216. Odd belt angle between pto and arbor(s) and center arbor rubbing on the support frame underneath the pulley. I was wondering how did you fix the problem and/or any input from other members??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts