My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Simplicity lawn tractor but it is green so it is a Deutz-Allis.
Model 1616, Mfg product # 1691819, S/N 11727. I would like to find out when it was manufactured.
The hydrostatic transaxle is starting to slip. Does anyone have experience in working on them? We are located in West Central Missouri.
Paul

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul! :)

Off hand I'm not familiar with the tractor or model. But I'll do some digging around the net and see if I can find any information available on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fluid level is on the mark. I have had a printed out Deutz-Allis parts manual for many years and use it to order parts from. Also have cross-reference from Simplicity to the other brands they made. Have just found the Broadmoor Series Service & Repair Manual, Rev 4/97. It starts out with good speed then in a couple minutes it starts to slow down. I need to test it more to determine if it completely stops.
Paul

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
On the hydros in general a few have changed the fluid and got them to work better. But most of the time rebuilding seems to be the only cure. Does your service or parts manual indicate who made the hydro and the model number of it?

You might have some luck looking up the model of the hydro directly at the website of it's manufacture. Also there are some service and troubleshooting manuals floating around on the net for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Hydro is a Eaton 750 which was replaced by a 751 a year or so after the one I have was made. Looks like this is a updated version of the 750 changing the location of the brake. There are parts available but they are very expensive. I do have the service and repair manual on the Broadmoor which includes a section on this hydro. I don't think it is worth an overhaul on a 21 year old lawn tractor. Best to put the money on a new one.
Paul

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
.... I don't think it is worth an overhaul on a 21 year old lawn tractor. Best to put the money on a new one.
Paul
It does get debatable on cost like that especially if it has a lot of hours, engine getting tired, etc. and is your main mower that is down. Then it comes to how attached you are to it, whether you want to try and keep it running or restore it as a collectable or move on to a new one.

Just looked and a complete new replacement transaxle appears to be in the $2-3K range. Pretty pricey for what is billed as only a light duty unit. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts