My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this used system today, I have no idea what its worth and I have a lot to learn about it. I got a self study course book with it.

I guess what Im needing now is opinnion's of its quality and value. Did I do a ok deal? I gave 500 dollars for it, is that a bad deal, fair deal or good deal. some times honesty hurts , but thats ok , I can handle honest opinions.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I am unsure of the value, but the machine looks great! By the looks of it, a older machine that was made well, so bet it is worth it! What can it all do? I see drill press and miter saw?, what else?
Only you know if it was worth it or not by how handy it is and saving you time!!
:)

Reactions: DrBailey

·
Registered
226 Posts
Those are great tools. That's worth the 500, easy. It's cool if you want to start working on wood. You can horizontal bore with it and it works as a lathe, too. They sell for a lot more than that brand new. There are a million things you can buy from Shopsmith, too, to pile on the features. Sort of like a Garden Tractor with a three point or sleeve hitch. I think you did well.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Looks like a great deal to me, Doc!

Looking at all of the attachments and, as python stated about their versatility, they're an established brand (Shopsmith) that's been around for decades.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it has a band saw on one end, a jig saw on the other, has a planner/jointer, drill chuck, five wood chissels for the lathe, a skill saw top.two large sand disk plates.
Thats all I know so far

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I think you did quite well, I've seen them go for a lot more. Well done Doc. I look forward to seeing some of the projects you come up with! :2th:

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys , I feeling like its worth what I paid for it. I think I will enjoy the machine as time go's on.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice find!

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Years ago, I remember seeing them on 30 min infomercials on Sat. afternoons. Amazing what they did with that machine.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Darn!
That's quite something!

No clue what it's worth, But it sure looks cool if you know how to work it..

I've never heard of ShopSmith myself, But they look built like absolute tanks.. The old ones anyhow..

-Stan

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I gotta say , you guys made me feel good about this deal, I dont think it will be a problem to learn the tricks of the machine and trade. Just going to work with one attachment at a time. I also bought (used) a router sighn machine, I figured it out today and did a trial run on it awhile ago.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Next you'll be opening up a booth at the county fair making signs for tourists like at Myrtle Beach.:bag:

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Next you'll be opening up a booth at the county fair making signs for tourists like at Myrtle Beach.:bag:
No , I dont need a job. them days are over. fact is, My Granddaughter is getting married in a year from now. she is having a western style wedding, she is keeping me busy with wood projects . she wants signs all over the place, funny signs, old looking signs,what ever. I intended to free hand these signs, all these wood tools just fell in my lap yesterday. Im glad they did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Shop Smith.. Well built machine. I bought an Arbor to hold a standard 5/8 hole sawblade instead of using the hard to find blades with the big hole in the center.

I mainly use the table saw and drill press. Sort of time consuming to change from one tool to the other but it does a good job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
" all these wood tools just fell in my lap yesterday. Im glad they did."

If this is the kind of stuff that falls from the sky in your neck of the woods, I want to come around the next time it looks like rain =-)
Nice finds!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts