My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi there, I have a statesman ride on with an 11hp briggs and strattan engine, I removed the blades and all the bits underneath, and our son uses it, as do I around our place. my problem is this, I have made the pullys bigger, and it now goes faster, after giving it a good clean and changing the oil I started the engine and it sounds v good, after a few minuts, fuel came out of the filter area, like it was backing up, I removed the carb and it was not the cleanest, so I gave it some tlc. my question is this, is there a reason this is happening that I am not aware of. I will be replacing the fuel lead tomorrow before starting so you advice would be more than welcome, it may be that having cleaned the carb the problem is sorted, there is also some confusion as to the best oil for the engine, your ideas/expertise would be welcome. shep

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
First off; welcome aboard!:ThumbUp: With regard to your carb problem, since the carb was dirty, it probably needs to be thoroughly cleaned and maybe even rebuilt. The fuel in the air filter was probably caused by flooding. As to the oil, Briggs engines will work fine on either 30WT or 10W30, but 10W30 provides better lubrication on startup. I prefer synthetic, but there's nothing wrong with using mineral oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for that, I am an child in this regard, as all my energies for some time has been as a carer, so please be patent. shep

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off; welcome aboard!:ThumbUp: With regard to your carb problem, since the carb was dirty, it probably needs to be thoroughly cleaned and maybe even rebuilt. The fuel in the air filter was probably caused by flooding. As to the oil, Briggs engines will work fine on either 30WT or 10W30, but 10W30 provides better lubrication on startup. I prefer synthetic, but there's nothing wrong with using mineral oil.[/

QUOTE] hi again, I have it all back together, remind me to tell you about the govener thingi, hope to start it when I get back from the bog, ( getting the turf in ) if you have any last minute sugestions that I may take on board before ignition please feel free, if you see a bright red ride on that looks like a massy ferguson flying across you air space, think of me.:howdy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts