My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a severe wind chill advisory and overnight it got down to -30 on my weather machine. Got up and..........no water. First time this happened in the new mobile home. I checked it overnight and seemed to have it then, should have left it dripping but thought no need! :(
How cold is it at your house today?? Right now it is -7 with wind chill of -20!

·
Registered
507 Posts
-12 today, 50 on tuesday. That'll be a lot of condensation

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank God only a little time with salamander fixed no water issue! Back on now! Temp is -17 wind chill!

·
Registered
650 Posts
was -4 on the old gauge here at home, said on the local weather that it was -1 at Pittsburgh airport but I don't live at the airport so I'll go with my back porch reading...stay warm guys

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from town. It sure feels cold. My Fusion cranked slower than normal. Then computer revved to 14-1700 RPM. Hate that they cold rev like that, but old chokes did too.

Reactions: wh55

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Today was a severe wind chill advisory and overnight it got down to -30 on my weather machine. Got up and..........no water. First time this happened in the new mobile home. I checked it overnight and seemed to have it then, should have left it dripping but thought no need! :(
How cold is it at your house today?? Right now it is -7 with wind chill of -20!
Wow! I've never had that experience before.

Are you guys talking Celsius or Fahrenheit?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Austen all Fahrenheit! Very cold to be out without layers. I was not dressed for long time out, no long johns and such, and felt it right away! Could only stay out long enough to feed birds and went in. Then came back out to thaw pipes. Made quick video of my poor Fusion after starting it, computer revved it higher than normal to warm it. Cranked slower than normal too!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Reactions: Austen

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Austen all Fahrenheit!
Wow!!! I thought you were going to say Celsius. I can't imagine that type of cold. I don't think I've ever experienced that cold in my life! I have a hard time going outside when it's in the teens!

BTW, that song "More of You" by Colton Dixon playing when you first got in the car is a good one. :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Fusion cranked a little slower but fired as normal. Then revved a bit higher for a while. I will definitely let it warm up tomorrow.
Austen I really don't like the cold! Goes right to my hands now, after only a few minutes they hurt badly!
I buy very expensive gloves too?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Austen I really don't like the cold! Goes right to my hands now, after only a few minutes they hurt badly!
I buy very expensive gloves too?
I have some thin gloves that work for driving but also have fleece in them. They're really warm and I put them on some of the cold commutes in the morning.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a Diesel cold fire!
Wonder how my trucks will fire tomorrow at work??

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is Austen trying to fire in super cold for him!? ;)

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
We've been down to 0°F to several degrees above several times overnight this year but not below it yet. Lowest windchill I'm showing was -12°F on January 18. Like Capstan mentioned this really is not that bad to what it can be this time of year around here. Coldest I've measured here going back to 2004 is -15°F in both 2014 and 2015 and that was air temp, not windchill. Back around 1982 I think was the coldest I remember and there was another spell in the 1990's (I think) where it was -10-20°F below at night and only warmed up to around 0° during the day. We had four cylinder RAM vans (first version of the Dodge mini van from the 1980s) and would let them run all day we were out. We had some problems with the carbs icing up and they would only warm up while setting still. Take them out on the highway and the water temp would start falling. Had cardboard over the radiators. Makes for a cold ride in a striped down truck with no carpet or wall coverings to provide insulation. We stretched some plastic across behind the seats which helped a little.

Edit: That was one advantage of the old style iron V8s. You could shut them off and go in someones house for an hour and come back out and still have some heat right away when you left. The aluminum small engines in this weather are cold again when you come back out to go to the next house. Bout kills ya going from a house with a wood stove or elderly person with the furnace set at 78°F out to 10°F truck. Always said I would be healthier if I spent all day out in the cold and could wear the full clothes to account for it like when we use to installed satellites and antennas in this weather. But if I put on that much clothes running calls I end up soaking wet with sweat in many homes by the time I come back out which is worse then being on the cold side. Don't really have the time to put on and take off 5 layers everyplace I go and every run out to get a tool.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Here is Austen trying to fire in super cold for him!?
That 7.3 doesn't sound right. It sounds like it's only running on 4 cylinders.

We've been down to 0°F to several degrees above several times overnight this year but not below it yet. Lowest windchill I'm showing was -12°F on January 18. Like Capstan mentioned this really is not that bad to what it can be this time of year around here. Coldest I've measured here going back to 2004 is -15°F in both 2014 and 2015 and that was air temp, not windchill. Back around 1982 I think was the coldest I remember and there was another spell in the 1990's (I think) where it was -10-20°F below at night and only warmed up to around 0° during the day. We had four cylinder RAM vans (first version of the Dodge mini van from the 1980s) and would let them run all day we were out. We had some problems with the carbs icing up and they would only warm up while setting still. Take them out on the highway and the water temp would start falling. Had cardboard over the radiators. Makes for a cold ride in a striped down truck with no carpet or wall coverings to provide insulation. We stretched some plastic across behind the seats which helped a little.

Edit: That was one advantage of the old style iron V8s. You could shut them off and go in someones house for an hour and come back out and still have some heat right away when you left. The aluminum small engines in this weather are cold again when you come back out to go to the next house. Bout kills ya going from a house with a wood stove or elderly person with the furnace set at 78°F out to 10°F truck. Always said I would be healthier if I spent all day out in the cold and could wear the full clothes to account for it like when we use to installed satellites and antennas in this weather. But if I put on that much clothes running calls I end up soaking wet with sweat in many homes by the time I come back out which is worse then being on the cold side. Don't really have the time to put on and take off 5 layers everyplace I go and every run out to get a tool.
You make a good point about modern aluminum engines and how they cool down much quicker!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
well I guess it was warm here yesterday morning, it was 2º when I got up
this morning there was a heat wave, 17º

·
Registered
686 Posts
We haven't had snow, we haven't had cold it's like they took all our snow and cold and sent them out East last two years :mad:

I want our snow back so I can play with the blowers !!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts