My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to buy a self propelled but not sure which would be better , front drive or rear ?...I hear pros and cons about both ,maybe you guys could lead me in the right direction

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I'm a fan of rear wheeled propelled myself because the weight of the mower helps maintain traction. My own experience with front wheel propelled mowers is that they tend to loose traction too easily, one reason being that I, the operator, tends to push down on the handles, lifting the front of the mower.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Rear wheel drive for sure, no question about it.

It's an interesting concept but having owned one for a short time, from a usability standpoint, it's just not that effective (literally) in a walk-behind lawnmower to put it bluntly. There's a reason why there's not many, if any, commercial grade FWD walk-behind lawnmowers.

In my opinion, it is such a black and white of a difference that there is no comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
ive tried fwd mowers and there is no comparison to rwd, with fwd you might as well have no transmission at all

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the replies , rwd it is....ended up buying a used toro GTS personal pace from a fellow who had to thin his herd. almost like new..of course I had to try it out when I got it home....so far so good...I now wonder why I didn't get a self propelled years ago...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I prefer front drive. When I reach the end of a row I just lift the front wheels pivot on the rear wheels and keep going. No need to dis-engage or re-engage the drive clutch. That also makes trimming around obstacles easier and quicker too. Traction has never been an issue even in tall wet grass, but I don't have a hilly yard either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts