My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to buy a self propelled walk behind. Never had one before just used push mowers ...now with a bad back and getting old I am considering one...would be used mainly on rather steep banks. Used would be preferred but new may be the way to go. Any suggestions on what to avoid or buy ?

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Well, this time of year there may be used units showing up at the dealers as people trade them in on newer models. Although, some dealers don't like to have used mowers around because that would tend to take away from new mower sales. It sure wouldn't hurt to check with local dealers to find out if they have any used ones available. There should be quite a selection of used mowers available on Craig's List.

Either way, you'll want to ask about the service history of any mower you do look at.

My personal preference would be for a Honda, or Toro brand mower. Primarily because of the good experiences I've had with either brand, and again because of the availability of dealer support for service and parts. Rear wheel drive has always seemed better for overall traction than front wheel drive from those that I've used. Both brands offer good mulching and bagging capabilities, and always rank high in consumer reports.

You say you'll be using it on steep banks. I just looked at an owner's manual for a current model of Honda and they caution against use on slopes of more than 20 degrees, and advise to mow across the slope, not up and down. I would imagine that other manufacturers would advise the same.

A lot of people swear by Lawn Boy mowers, especially when steep slopes are involved because oil lubrication of the engine isn't a factor in 2 stroke engines when tilted to sharp angles on slopes.

Hopefully others will chime in with ideas for you.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
i would also get a honda, just be careful to avoid the hrt series because those mowers were known to have transmission failures. whats your budget?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my budget is on the slim side but willing to dish out a few dollars for a machine that would be somewhat trouble free as far as the drive system goes...I've seen way to many that end up as push mowers after an early failure of the drive and I would guess the parts couldn't be had or just to expensive. my banks would be cut side to side and there isn't really a lot of bank to mow, maybe 50 feet wide by 20 feet up and down thanks guys for the input

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a self-propelled mower (LawnBoy) with an electric start that died and I made the decision to go with the EGO mower fearing I would regret not having the self-propelled feature. I have 10K sq ft of grass to cut, with a lot of landscaping to maneuver around AND about a third of the yard on a steep hill (~15 degrees). On the flat areas, it easily out-maneuvers the LawnBoy. On the hill I still wish I had the power assist to go up the hill, especially when I'm bagging in the fall to mulch/collect the leaves. For the rest of the season, it's the best lawn mower I've ever owned. I'll never go back to a gas powered one. Who wants to keep changing the oil, spark plug and air filter every season, dealing with gas, pulling on the starter cord (OWW! my shoulder hurts just thinking about it), breathing in exhaust fumes, having your ears ringing from the noise and needing 2 people to lift it into the trunk to take it to my Dad's to cut his lawn too.

I have the 4AH battery that came with the mower and a 2AH one that came with the 12" string trimmer that I bought at the same time. Between the 2 batteries, I can cut all day long if I use the fast charger that comes with the mower, stopping only to walk back to my charging station in the garage to swap out batteries and also to get a drink of water before mowing on.

You may be right on the cusp of needing to recharge the 4AH battery with 4K sq ft because that's about how much I can cut with mine, but part of that is the HILL. If yours is all flat I would think you could do your whole lawn on one charge. A lot depends on grass height, time of season, how thick the grass is if it's dry or damp, how sharp you keep your blade, etc.

I really think you'll be glad you make the switch to EGO just because of their battery and charger technology. They are WAY ahead of the rest of the pack when it comes to their engineering and design. Also, their customer service CANNOT be beaten. Hope this helps!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts