My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched but can't seem to find what i thought would be an easy thing to find on the internet. The foam portion of my JD seat(Milsco Brand) is completely separated from the hard plastic seat pan. It looks like some sort of hot hot was used in the manufacturing process to hold the edges of the foam to the pan. Has anyone found a fix or DIY to repair?? Im assuming this is common as my last JD did the same thing(not sure if it was Milsco seat or not).

FWIW: 2005 JD GX335
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
6,296 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
JD seat

This is just curiosity on my part, not any constructive advice. I am a big JD fan and always have been. We have always had JD equipment in the family. They have always been very reliable and tough as can be. My question: why has JD never, and I mean never, been able to build a seat that doesn't rip or fall apart? We still have our 1977 68 RER, the only thing that has ever fallen apart is the seat. Maybe I am the only one that has pondered this matter. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hooks.......I agree man.....this is my second "real" John Deere(dealer model anyway) and they BOTH have failed in the seat department. My dads.....older 170 i think it was had a metal seat "pan" and that seat stayed attached to the pan.....it eventually split but it was used and abused pretty bad over the years.

The current seat in question has been babied, might have got wet once or twice during a bath and garage kept. No real excuse....pan looks perfect! Yellow seat itself looks great except for completely pulled away from pan.

I have ordered some HH-66 vinyl cement. We will see how it works.
If it doesn't...... I'll get an after market northern tool or the like look-alike and be done with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok......so heres my update.
The HH-66 came in.....i didn't even try it. It has consistancy of water, so I think too thin for what im doing.
I used some loctite construction adhesive(in caulk style tube) I had in the shop.
Word of advice......where mine was glued only along the edges.....I glued edges and in the "middle" of the seat for more contact area of the glue.
Also....put glue on black plastic base.....not yellow foam.....makes it not so messy. I did bottom to where curve up the back begins......then sat on it for 10 minutes and played games on phone. Let it sit a day or so.
Did the back.....you can pry the seat away from black plastic enough to get the adhesive squirted in. I used bungy cords to hold the two pieces together this time. Let it sit for a few days. Seems good as new.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,897 Posts
I have to agree, that green company needs to work on their gluing techniques.:soap:

Car seat cover Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Vehicle door


This seat is a newer seat and has always been kept in my garage and is a "genuine" JD part.

We have a new compact gator at work we use as a helicopter tug that stays in the hanger and the same thing happened to it. We used Gorilla Glue and so far it has worked nicely.:cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Just for clarification... John Deere doesn't make there own seats. It's subbed out to a seat manufacture in Michigan. But you would think they would have stricter quality requirements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top