My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks! :) Installed new belts on this lawn tractor and now the secondary drive belt fell off the upper Variator Pulley assembly. I now noticed that the 2 idler pulleys I replaced could have been installed up or down and of course I didn't pay attention to which way it originally was. :eek: The difference is about 1/8". I'm guessing if they are both installed upside down so to speak, could be why the belt fell off.

Part number is Pulley, Idler 1401156
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/B0206002-00001.png
number 79

Can anyone tell me does it install with the long, center of the idler bearing up or down?

There is more dirt on the long end of the bearing. (I think that would be up, because it can't fall off as easy. and that is how I installed them.)

Thanks in advance, rbee

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Hi rbee. Hmm, let's see, I think I've taken things apart, then wondered how they were supposed to go back together a time or two myself.:rolleyes: Can't say I have the answer to your question, but I'm sure somebody will be along who can. In the mean time, welcome to the forum. Let us know how things work out for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
switching pullies

Thanks for the reply and encouragment. :)
I going out to the garage now and install the pullies with the longer end on the bearing facing down so the belt will be a little higher in the assembly. We see tomorrow how it goes. :cool:

I'll post back to let you know. Thanks again, rbee

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
I think most commonly the long side of the bearing goes against the mounting point which in the picture appears to be up. So if I was to guess I probably would have installed them the same way you did. Only way I know to check it for alignment would be to set a straight stick of wood or metal on the main pulleys and see if the belt seems to track further away from the stick in route to the idlers. Probably a next to impossible task though to see it well enough to tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
belt had flipped over!!!

Hi Folks. Sorry I have not got back earlier. I had tried to remove and install the idler pully and flip it the other way around but it did not look right and there did not seem to be enough thread to work with.:confused:

So I loosened the transaxle and straighted out the belt that had flipped over (and was in between both pullies:eek:) and then reinstalled the pullies.

The belt is a little beaten up but was brand new but all is well. ;)

I drove up and down the driveway several times and it's driving ok.

I will finally try to cut the front yard tomorrow. :D

Thanks for all you tips and everything. rbee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
30" Sears Mid Engine Mower is CUTTING again !!!

Hi Folks. I just finished cutting the front yard and everything seems ok.

I did not experience any of the fade that I had felt before the belt change.

I think the work was worth it. My neighbor might have a little reservation though because he was cutting my yard when I could't. :rolleyes:

But my neighbor is a really great guy. He has showed up at my front door with a fine plate of fajita's, chips, salsa and beans......!!!

Thanks again and will continue to browse the forum.
It's

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Now that he's not mowing your yard he should have more time to bring you plates of fajita's, chips, salsa and beans. :D Good to hear you have it working! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like rbee has recently under-taken a project that I am about to take on. I just removed all the belts and pulleys from my 536.270270, as well as the transaxle. Every thing looks fine except the idler pulley at the transaxle seems to be very sticky--doesn't turn easily. This project all started because the belt from the engine shaft to the variable pulley keeps shreading--been through 3 already. Is this idler pulley suppose to turn very freely? Any ideas or suggestions on what else might be tearing these belts up will be appreciated.

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
.... Is this idler pulley suppose to turn very freely? ...
Generally speaking yes. But it depends somewhat on the bearings they use in the particular idler as to it's feel while turning it by hand. Some smooth resistance could be normal. Any grinding, major clicking or scratching sounds are likely a sign of trouble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Generally speaking yes. But it depends somewhat on the bearings they use in the particular idler as to it's feel while turning it by hand. Some smooth resistance could be normal. Any grinding, major clicking or scratching sounds are likely a sign of trouble.
Thanks Mark: Sounds like the only way to know about this pulley is to get my hands on a new one and compare the two. If it turns out not to be this idler pulley, can you think of anything else that might be tearing this belt up? The other two belts are perfect. The variable pulley moves smoothly; transaxle pulley turns smoothly; :confused:This thing is driving me crazy! Any suggestions are MORE than appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Bwdbrn1. Yes, that bearing should spin somewhat freely though I really wished it was a sealed bearing like the idler pulley on the mower. My transaxle idler pulleys were also worn & sticky so I replaced them.
Reminds me of my old, steel wheel roller skates when I was a kid! :p

My belt slipped in between the variator pulley and started to chew up so make sure it is not flipped, in between the belt guides & the speed control pedal moves freely.

P.S. I had to readjust my clutch and hopes it works ok. It is actually starting to rain :) so I have to check it out later.

My clutch-drive started to slip again when it's hot while cutting the back yard last week. I think my transaxle is worn out.

FYI: I think I found one here:
Surplus Center - PEERLESS 2 SPEED TRANSAXLE

Good luck, rbee

·
Registered
3 Posts
craftsman 536.270270 pulleys, belts, etc.....

Hey everyone! rbee's response to Bwdbrn1 was a great help to me. Thanks for the insight. Just waiting until payday to get a new idler pulley. In the mean time, if anyone can think of other things I can check while I've got the thing torn apart that might be chewing up that belt from the main shaft to the variable pulley :confused: would be more than appreciated. Again, thanks for your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts