My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The things people will throw away.. I think, over time, I paid about $20.00 for this whole group, thats not counting a parts mower for the 3002. They all run now, probably going to take the Commercial LB to shows. I plan on using it.. but I still don't know yet. There's about 10 others from there too.. to date, every single one has run well.. save for one Toro rear bagger with a smokey Tecumseh. I don't get why people would throw away perfectly good mowers. Three of them started right up in the yard. If I only had enough jobs for them to all do!:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
It's a beautiful thing isn't it? I haven't bought a push mower in my 30 years of home ownership. Just picked up a Craftsman mulching mower for free last week. PO said it wouldn't start. Started on ether the first pull. Clean the fuel system.......viola!!! Gotta love it :ThumbUp:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Wow, those still look quite fresh! :cool

Nice to see that you rescued them. Thanks for the pics!

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Dear homeowner, don't bother keeping that old relic! Toss it out and get a shinny new one...after all, who wants to bother keeping those old jalopies around? What would the neighbors think if they saw you pulling on the rope more than once or twice! :ROFLh, Oh, by the way, here's my number, I'll haul that nasty old thing away for you. You won't even have to bother taking it to the scrap yard.:2th:

·
Registered
480 Posts
My son in law is like that. I picked up an old ariens snow blower for him and my daughter and the first thing out of his mouth was "but it's old". My daughter god bless her told him to shut up it's built better than most things these days.
It's good to see these older machines getting rescued.

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Great saving the old ones!! Shame what people throw out!
Don, had same issue with a lady buying a tractor once. We had a real nice older tractor, she only wanted the newer Craftsman!? The older one would eat its lunch just in weight of the steel!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Gotta love the people that throw away machinery because it "doesn't run!"

I'm in the same boat, haven't bought a mower of any sort in my 16 years as a homeowner. My current rear bagger YardMan push mower was salvaged by me while at my day job. It was sitting on top of a big roll off dumpster filled with the demo'd interior of a home. It looked brand new, clean and shiny. I knocked on the door and inquired about it, he told me it was new the previous summer and wouldn't start this spring, take it if you want it.

I grabbed it over he side of the dumpster and took it home. It had no spark upon first inspection. Pull the shroud and find the grounding tang bent and stuck under a metal bracket. Unbend it, fired right up! Lol. Not a high end mower but it's been very reliable and I've been using it for 10 years now!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
WE find them like that too Mike! Co -worker gave me his old mower in trade saying don't run. Well all I did so far is put gas in it, fires every time!? A cheap Weedeater brand, very light and runs fine. Might even keep it as it is so easy to push!

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
If I remember right, seems a lot of those little Briggs engines wouldn't start unless they had a full tank of gas. You could run them dry, but unless there was a full tank of gas to begin with, you could pull the rope until the cows came home and get nothing out of them. My brother-in-law did that with the father-in-law's mower with the little 3.5 Briggs on it. Pulled until he wore himself out. I asked him if it had gas and he said it did. I told him to fill it up all the way and darned if it didn't start right up.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You know I seem to remember having a similar experience with a mower I had years ago, though I didn't necessarily have to run it dry. If I put it away with say a 1/2 a tank it wouldn't start the next time I went to use unless I topped it off. That thing ticked me off so bad I got rid of it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I remember right, seems a lot of those little Briggs engines wouldn't start unless they had a full tank of gas. You could run them dry, but unless there was a full tank of gas to begin with, you could pull the rope until the cows came home and get nothing out of them. My brother-in-law did that with the father-in-law's mower with the little 3.5 Briggs on it. Pulled until he wore himself out. I asked him if it had gas and he said it did. I told him to fill it up all the way and darned if it didn't start right up.
Funny, I've got three pre-1980 Briggs 3.5's, and one 3, and they all start easy even when nearly dry. All have the Choke-A-Matic (Flood-O-Matic if you ask me), yet my newer beate mower, an el-cheapo with a Sprint 3.75, wont start without a dump of gas down the cylinder.. even the primer won't cut it. (Hance the reason it has a pipe-T and ball valve on the cylinder head!:sidelaugh

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
The way around that I found was if you tipped the mower backwards as far as you could for a few seconds to dump the remaining fuel up into the carb base it helped. But still anything less then half a tank and some wear and tear and they did not want siphon the fuel into the diaphragm. My old MTD trim mower is real bad about that. After 40 years the diaphragm is getting a little stiff. (Another minor project that has been waiting on the to-do list for quite some time. :rolleyes:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts