My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a model 425 61X8A with a 15hp Kohler. It was made by John Deere. I have changed the drive belt but it did nothing to help the situation. My problem is that the mower only goes at a crawl. Very slow. Is there a way to change the fluid in the transmission? I can not find a drain plug. The body on this is in very good condition and was always kept in a garage. I would like to keep this going since I also have a rear bagger on this mower. It comes in handy to pick up the leaves in the fall. Any help would be graetly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
It may have a vent tube on the top of the tranny. You can check the level there as well as draining it from there either with a vacuum/suction pump or by taking the tranny out and turning it over and draining it.
Look at the top of the tranny and see what the brand and model# is. It will probably be on a decal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does look like there may be a tube. But very difficult to get to it. Once I do, do I put 20 50 oil in it or use a transmission fluid? Can I put Lucas transmission fluid in it to help it from slipping? Either way, I won't be able to do anything for a while. We have snow coming and I have it all wrapped up in a blue trap to try and keep it covered now. I will get back into this project probably at the beginning of April.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If its a HydroGear, they usually use the 20w-50 motor oil. Do not use tranny fluid in it unless the manufacturer tells you too.
If you look on the back or side of the tranny there should be a white tag with the model# and brand. Find it and post it hear and I can get you a manual for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
still runs slow

If its a HydroGear, they usually use the 20w-50 motor oil. Do not use tranny fluid in it unless the manufacturer tells you too.
If you look on the back or side of the tranny there should be a white tag with the model# and brand. Find it and post it hear and I can get you a manual for it.
Sorry for getting back to this project many months later. I have filled it up with 20-50 oil and changed the belt. I adjusted the rod underneth as far as possible without it falling off. This takes away the backwards but did give me just a touch quicker. Overall, still is very slow moving. The engine runs powerful with the cutter running with power. In fact I can put the grass catcher on and it cuts and cleans good. But is very slow moving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts