My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help on this scotts riding mower that when I crank it will go a little but no crank over. When I keep cycling the key on and off it finally spins fast enough and starts. It has a new battery cables.m once it gets started and run for awhile it will start back up.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If its a twin cylinder, make sure you have the correct amperage battery as even a new, but low amperage battery may struggle trying to turn over a twin.

·
Registered
650 Posts
my dads mower did the same thing...get the highest amp battery you can find...my dad burned up a starter trying to start his mower with the low amp battery. Just not enough kick to turn over the engine the way it should

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I would check the battery first also. Not fully changed or not enough capacity, perhaps. Check all connections to make sure they are clean and tight also. Then go on form there, if necessary.

·
Registered
242 Posts
99.99999999% of slow cranking from cold & starts fine when hot cases is too much valve lash.
The other 0.00000001 % is a dud battery.

The starter motors fitted to domestic mowers can not crank the engine over properly without the decompression facility working.
Cheap & nasty check.
Pull out the spark plug.
Spins quickly, electrics are fine
Spins slowly check electrics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts