My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this scotts 42 inch that having trouble starting. Here's what I do to get it started. First it is a new battery and cables. If I just hold the key all the way it goes just a little then stops. So I keep cycling the key back and forth then it goes a little faster then it will start. But just turn the key it won't just keep cycling back and forth. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I know about 1/10 of the guys knowledge base on here.... I'm gonna guess and say it's ignition related. Normally the starter either works or not. If it's starter related I haven't heard of it acting that way when cycling the ignition back and forth to get it to start. That's just my 2 cents.. :2cents:

Someone with some more education will be along soon. Leave to the experts. They'll get you back and running! :2th:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I also have less knowledge than the average forum member.

I wonder if your valves are out of adjustment, creating such high compression that the starter load is is heavy at the beginning. I just lived through this agony with my 2012 RE Snapper.

I first thought I had a weakening battery, it would grunt at first, then gradually turn over and finally spin fast enough to crank up. While mowing a couple of weeks ago, it shut down with me and would not start.

I established that I had an engine problem with my start/charge battery charger set to start. I connected the ground to negative on battery and positive directly to starter terminal. The I set the charger to the 200 amp start position and turned it on. It still had trouble spinning, so I knew I had no electrical or starter problem.

I have a mechanically savvy neighbor that came over, and we removed the valve cover and readjusted the valves until she resumed purring like a happy kitten. We think that vibration had just allowed the set screw on the valve adjustment guide had worked loose, resulting in both valves being to closed at the same time.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Start by confirming the starter is goos by jumping it directly from the battery.
Run a + wie to the bolt on the starter then run a - to a good earth.
You should get a big spark and the starter should spin freely.
If not repeat with plug (s) out.
Works plugs out & not plugs in means starter is good & valve lash is bad.

Remove + jumper & try key, Works OK =bad earth

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I am with chobbs, check the valve clearance. Sounds like they are too loose and compression release is not functioning.
bertsmobile is also correct with that test of electrical system. Try these points and bet you have a repair outlined.

Reactions: chobbs1957

·
Registered
730 Posts
You haven't mentioned whether you have a Briggs or Kohler engine..[think those Scotts came with both]...If Kohler, don't bother trying valve adjust...can't be done [Hydr lifters] If Briggs eng....try hand turning eng backwards [palms on top screen], all the way till firm resistance..Then try key, will it routinely spin forward for few cycles ?..If so, compression release, as prior posts note, is not working...hopefully due to misadjusted valves.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts