My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this little mower in my shed for quite a few years. It was my first reel mower, passed along to me by a family member who didn't want it. I used to use it every other mowing, but hung it up quite a while back to make room on the shed floor for other stuff and haven't used it for years. It's going to be making it's way up north to a person who said they'd like to have one, so it will get a nice home and used again as it should be.

View attachment 11001

View attachment 10993

View attachment 11009

Darn nice little mower.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Darn nice little mower.
I'll say!

It looks like you've kept in tip top shape to say the least.

I've never used a more modern push style reel mower before. How does it compare to the vintage ones? I would imagine it would be lighter and easier to push.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've looked at that McLean online and thought it looked like a mighty fine reel mower. With 7 blades as opposed to the usual 5, it should give a really good cut too. I've paused and looked at the Fiskars front throw rear drive mowers in the store and thought they were kind of interesting too.

I'd have thought that the old ones would push a lot harder too, but actually I was surprised when I started collecting some of them. My first vintage one was the
Eclipse Model L
View attachment 11025
later the Jacobsen Model 161
View attachment 11033
the REO Michigan Noiseless
View attachment 11041
and the latest was the Toro Sportsman
View attachment 11049

The Eclipse beats all others for all around comfort of use because of their "ergonomic" handle bars. They were definitely ahead of the times with that patented handle design. So far as pushing them, I can't say that the Scotts has any advantage over the vintage ones once they were all cleaned up, oiled and adjusted. They're all of stamped steel construction, with the exception of the Eclipse with is cast iron, and of course, the Scotts has plastic wheels while all the vintage are of some sort of metal The real difference is that the new Scotts has wheels where the vintage ones all have rollers on the back and the Scott offers a much higher cut adjustment than the older ones do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts