My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been wanting to find an 816 for a while to use for the heavy chores around the farm and I finally got one.
It came with a 50" mowing deck and snow plow, all for the whopping price of $350. Just in case, that's CHEAP for my area.
The seller says it belonged to an old friend of his and had been sitting in his barn for at least ten years, maybe more. I kind of believe the story based on what I'm seeing while working on it. It's doesn't seem to have a lot of hours on it for being 32 years old.
I've been cleaning it up and getting it ready to go back to work. Power washed it, cleaned out the fuel system and fixing a few broken items.
I picked up new tires for it and those go on next week.
I do plan on doing a restore on it later but for now it will be a worker. I need to finish my other projects first.
I'll pick this thread back up as things happen.

Believe it or not the hood and seat pan are white, that's surface rust making it all look red.

The seat looks pretty original for this tractor. It's in great shape.

Here's what it's supposed to look like, this is not mine.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW! What a difference!

Very nice Job Devans! :2th:

-Stan
No,no. The nice one isn't mine, it's what mine is supposed to look like. Mine is still barn fresh. :ROFL

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Nice find Don, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as soon as you get to working on it. :2th: I'm sure you'll get it looking like your sample/dream pic before long. Now all you need to do is re-prioritize your list :p

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I need to get my G.A.S. under better control............
I want to just get it back to work but here is what I see happening.
I bought four new tires for it, pointless to put on new tires without painting the rims. Fresh paint on rims makes the rest of the tractor look bad and it starts.... :help:
I'm hopeless. :bag: :dunno: :ROFL

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
That's why you put tubes in tires and postpone that new tire step for now. Ask me how I know that.... Better yet, maybe you shouldn't..
:bag:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If only I could, the tire was flat when I went to look at it so I hook up my compressor and air it up. The seller grabbed the Gravely and shook it side to side and blew out the side wall. That made it interesting to get on the trailer. Oh and the broken steering rod.
So, how do you know that? Ha, ha, ha!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If only I could, the tire was flat when I went to look at it so I hook up my compressor and air it up. The seller grabbed the Gravely and shook it side to side and blew out the side wall. That made it interesting to get on the trailer. Oh and the broken steering rod.
So, how do you know that? Ha, ha, ha!
Not to go off on a tangent, but you asked for it.
http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/25-snapper/8873-snapper-1438h-rer-project.html
This is not the first time either...... My doctor said I'm getting better though! :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So your neighbor gives you the mower which you refurb, and quite nicely too, and then buys it back from you. Okay.....

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Excellent find!! That is quite the deal too, it would be unheard of anywhere I'm from.

Please keep us posted as you get more into the project!

That's neat that you're going to hold off on the restoration and enjoy it in its working clothes for a while. I'm the same way and it sounds like you've got some great plans to bring her back to functional form in the meantime too!

Subscribed!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Those where tough tractors! I've saw several of them around here mowing in original non-restored clothing driven by older drivers that probably bought them brand new back in the day. :cool

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent find!! That is quite the deal too, it would be unheard of anywhere I'm from.

Please keep us posted as you get more into the project!

That's neat that you're going to hold off on the restoration and enjoy it in its working clothes for a while. I'm the same way and it sounds like you've got some great plans to bring her back to functional form in the meantime too!

Subscribed!
It's a very rare deal around me as well, I've seen a few pop up but the price was pushing a grand.
I will keep this thread updated as things happen without a doubt. I'm hoping to pop the hubs off in the next couple of days to add a set screw to them like should have been done to begin with. I borrowed a puller from work, man this that is a monster.

Those where tough tractors! I've saw several of them around here mowing in original non-restored clothing driven by older drivers that probably bought them brand new back in the day. :cool
They're heavy too, I ball parked 600 pounds or so. My trailer is good for 1000. I looked up the weight yesterday and she comes in at 900 pounds. Oh boy. :eek: That explains why the trailer was doing what it was when the road got a bit rough.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
That is one heavy machine!! :) 900#!!
Like two of ours!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spent 8 quality hours on it today. Got a few less things that need fixed now. I'll update later, I'm too tired now.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh boy I let this slide didn't I. Sorry but I've been preoccupied and you'll see why in a minute.
Let's see so far I have, cleaned out the fuel system from tank to carb, power washed the chasis, put on 4 new tires and freed up the right front king pin. I tried starting the motor after power washing and no joy. Ordered and put in a new condenser primed the carb and she's running again. :2th:
This is where things go south and big time. I put the trans in low range 1st and move the direction lever back, she moves in reverse, push the lever forward and nothing. I should mention this is a geared transmission with external clutches.
I look things over real good and notice the forward clutch isn't turning like it should be.
I pulled the motor to peek inside and found the shaft had sheared inside, :angry:
I then take more stuff off so I can remove the transmission side cover to look around real good. Now I'm no expert but I've seen plenty of threads at MTF concerning these transmissions with pictures and if this one isn't the worst case of carnage then it's a very close second.
The good news is a fellow gravely nut and MTFer is helping me out with what I need to salvage this.
Now for the pictures.
Disclaimer; due to the violent nature of the following it is advised that children under the age of 14 please leave the room.
(my attempt at keeping my sense of humor)

Here's the forward clutch shaft, the motor is still installed.

Notice something odd?

With the motor pulled I reached in to keep the gears aligned and flipped the shaft, yep, sheared.

There should be a retainer clip where it sheared, I found it in the bottom of the case.

Radial bearing race.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Believe it or not those were the good pictures, from here it get real ugly.

I made a couple of alignment pins to help support the side cover.

Words just can't describe this.

That piece of gear is stuck there, and notice the daylight view.

The PTO clutch is still good.

Here's the broken piece of the case.

Well for now the motor is in my shed, the tractor is covered and I'm saving up for replacement parts. The upside, I always look for the upside, is the trans will be good as new and should outlast me.
Updates when they happen.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts