My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Administrator
6,319 Posts
That's also a way for those of us with analog scanners to listen to the new digital broadcasts. ;)

So far only the state patrol post has switched to digital here. But I think it is only a matter of time before the police and sheriff make the change. (When they find the money to do it.)

I've held off getting a digital scanner in hopes the prices would come down some. :rolleyes:

· Administrator
6,319 Posts
I had a time of it getting trunking set up on my scanner to receive our local power companies. Fortunately I found a way (software) to program it from the computer which helped. I imagine doing the digital setup will be even worse.

I preferred the old days when they were on VHF Lo band single frequency. Also kind of like the old wired dial phones compared to digital radio and cell phones, the audio was better then too. You could hear everything that was going on in the background. :D

· Administrator
6,319 Posts
I had a old analog and all the local departments around here have gone digital. But there is a app for that on the iPhone and I have a iPhone 4. If you go to iTunes and search for Emergency Radio it comes right up and it was free when I got it. No more scanner for me.
This might be a stupid question since I don't have an iPhone. :eek:

How does that affect your monthly bill running things like that? Do you have some sort of a flat rate or is it based on usage time?

· Administrator
6,319 Posts
I am "grandfathered" in on the old fixed rate for data at $30.00 per month. But I do not use the 3G network at home as the iPhone has a built in wifi antenna and I am on wifi at home when I listen to what is going on at home.

Since using my home wifi does not use any of my data plan it has no affect. I hope that this makes sense to you Mark.
Cool!! :cool:

I did not know they could link in with a home network like that. I have wireless from my AT&T DSL modem/router combo box for my two laptops. I have no data transfer limits on the DSL connection so that should work for me too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.