My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I have a scag tigercat that won’t crank. I replaced the starter. The safety switches check out fine, including the pto switch. I am reading 12.66 volts to ground. I am thinking maybe the interlock module? Is there any way to troubleshoot it? Hate to waste another hundy, lol. Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've seen batteries read fine, then when load applied (you turning the key) voltage drops like a rock. I would advise having the battery load tested (it's free at nearly all auto parts stores),Or i would try shorting across the solenoid with a heavy screwdriver. if it cranks that way, most likely your battery and starter are good.
I would write down the mowers model and serial numbers and get a hold of Scag, i couldn't find anything on the net about testing that module, however you can probably go straight to the, in this case, Tigers mouth, to get your answer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen batteries read fine, then when load applied (you turning the key) voltage drops like a rock. I would advise having the battery load tested (it's free at nearly all auto parts stores),Or i would try shorting across the solenoid with a heavy screwdriver. if it cranks that way, most likely your battery and starter are good.
I would write down the mowers model and serial numbers and get a hold of Scag, i couldn't find anything on the net about testing that module, however you can probably go straight to the, in this case, Tigers mouth, to get your answer
Scrub cadet 10 Thank you for sharing your knowledge! The starter cranks when the terminals are shorted. I also removed and bench tested the relay that is under the control panel. The spark plugs look fine, also. The check engine light comes on when the key is turned, and no error codes show up. Thinking you may be right when you say I should call Scag.

·
Founding Administrator
1,251 Posts
Do you get a "click" from the solenoid area when turning the key, but not turning the starter? Then, when shorting the solenoid it does turn?

Search for "Starter Assist Relay" here on the forum. May solve your issue cheaply. Let me know if you need more info or a schematic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you get a "click" from the solenoid area when turning the key, but not turning the starter? Then, when shorting the solenoid it does turn?

Search for "Starter Assist Relay" here on the forum. May solve your issue cheaply. Let me know if you need more info or a schematic.
Thank you Brad. The only click I hear is the relay under the control panel near the ignition switch.
When I short the starter solenoid the starter cranks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts