My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personal Safety should always be a paramount concern when it comes to caring for your lawn and garden. This article from strausnews.com details a simple checklist you to help you avoid unfortunate trips to the emergency room this summer and spend more time enjoying your freshly manicured lawn.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Remember any piece of equipment is only as safe as its operator, so always use good judgment and commonsense.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ditto with the above statements. I have seen many careless people who do some pretty scary things with their mowers! And then they wonder why they get hurt.

·
Registered
81 Posts
And don't forget ear protection!! After suffering from ringing and hearing loss in my left ear I finally realized that the muffler on my mower was rusting out inside and getting gradually louder and louder. So it kind of snuck up on me. Luckily the effects were temporary. Replaced the muffler and now I wear earplugs or muffs when using my outdoor power equipment.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is true, People usually forget about protecting their ears in addition to their eyes.
Ditto on the hearing protection, because it is nice being able to hear and see.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I always for get the eye protection. I get to where I now put my glasses next to it so maybe I will rememeber to get them. Sometimes I still forget. I do wear ear plugs though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
And don't forget ear protection!! After suffering from ringing and hearing loss in my left ear I finally realized that the muffler on my mower was rusting out inside and getting gradually louder and louder. So it kind of snuck up on me. Luckily the effects were temporary. Replaced the muffler and now I wear earplugs or muffs when using my outdoor power equipment.
I am guilty of forgetting ear plugs, Even though I have them, :eek: I need to remember them though as I use a lot of old equipment with less than quiet mufflers. I am amazed at how quiet some of today's equipment is compared to older models.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Eye protection is especially a must when using a weedeater. I know of someone who is partially blind in one eye because of negligence to were eye protection.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with tennitus he worked on a line opperating a punch and he hears a constant ringing in his ears now. makes him nuts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts