My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sent to scrapyard to recycle metal for work. While there a trailer pulls up next to my work van with a STX 38 and a lot of cool old mowers and push blower, string mower! Dudes were scrapping it all, the tractor had a lot of good parts on it still, carb, voltage regulator. :(
I asked them about the items, they are hobby repair guys. They threw away probably $200 worth of spare parts!
I wanted to load the van with good stuff, but would not get the money we had from our scrap, and I was working. I know the place won't sell scrap back, was told by friend anyway! ARGH! I could have used the STX for parts for the one I have! :soap:
Oh well, I got a pushmower from customer today at least. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I go to the scrap yard a couple times a week for my business. (my buddy across the street own it) and am always amazed at the stuff that people junk. They seem so shortsighted. He makes quite a nice profit on some of the stuff on C/L.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Eric, are the scrapyards up around your area as tight as they are on the island? None of the scrap yards around will let you buy anything which has been dropped off by others! I have unfortunately seen many good machines and engines crushed, but have swapped a few vintage briggs and clintons for raw steel when nobody was looking :)

Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
In my area it depends on the place if they sell something back or not. I can regularly go to one salvage yard and buy all day long if I want to pay their price. The other CLOSER place wont let anything out if it touches the ground.

I learned that the hard way at the beginning of this summer. Someone dropped off an old tube frame Bolens that was REALLY clean......and they wouldn't sell it to me. :angry:

If only I could have caught the guy dropping it off before he rolled in ten minutes earlier.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, K-Tron someone told me they won't sell. This yard is super busy most times. I was on clock and did not want to cause issue with loading this tractor on work truck. My boss is friend, but just a manager. Real boss would not like. Plus we split the scrap money me and friend! :) I was gonna ask these guys to leave it on truck and I would meet them outside and pay them. They were not the nicest folk. Pocket, I remember that story! It is annoying isn't it! These guys threw away a lot of machines that I bet we could have gotten running again! :(

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Some people are funny. They would rather throw something out then to give it to someone. I've seen neighbors have household item in a garage sale that did not get sold, haul them out to the curb for trash pickup at the end of the day. I'm thinking why did they not just mark free on the stuff earlier in the day to begin with. :dunno: Lot of people attending sales around here are driving cars that are doing good just to make it back home.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Being in charge of local government bulk trash pick up for 15 years, I can probably tell you why. A lot of people (not all, but a lot) will go through boxes of "free" items and dump the boxes/trash/contents on the ground and not clean it up.

I personally made pick ups at several houses along our main street from yard sales and evictions. Many times as we were trying to pick up the boxes and throw them on the truck, less ethical people came up and dumped the boxes on the sidewalk in front of us. Talk about angry!!! I had to run them off like kids picking up loose candy. Funny there was no interest until we started picking up the boxes and shoveling the loose stuff on the truck.

To me that was like going ahead of a trash truck and dumping the barrels in the street knowing it had to be picked up.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow Pocket, people are weird! I wish I got that tractor now, need parts to fix my in laws! :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
The truly sad part about the Bolens is it was complete green and white LARGE FRAME, in great condition and the paint was even 99%! It all but looked about a year old and looked well maintained although I know it had to be a late 60's or early 70's.

It really torques my axle to think it was scrapped from a shot of bad fuel or dirty carb.:angry:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The truly sad part about the Bolens is it was complete green and white LARGE FRAME, in great condition and the paint was even 99%! It all but looked about a year old and looked well maintained although I know it had to be a late 60's or early 70's.

It really torques my axle to think it was scrapped from a shot of bad fuel or dirty carb.:angry:
Hence why I search craigslist for Old lawn mowers... Especially Lawn-Boys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts