My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our children, all grown up and the nest being empty, it was about fourteen years ago when my wife, Teresa, and I inherited our two shepherd-golden lab pup's. They were inseparable since birth and why we took them both. Their mother, "Sarah", a pure bread white shepherd, papers and pedigreed (owned and raised by my mother) took a fancy to the neighbors Golden Lab. Their romance was over before anyone knew what happened.

Folks who love their pets always seem to find something exceptional about their own. Ours were no different than anyone else's except they had an uncanny personality to stop playing (like all puppies do), walk up to us and put their head on our lap, hand or foot to show their affection. Those moments in their early life is why we chose the names, Serene and Mellow. As the years past, Serene and Mellow matured into large, fierce, muscular young ladies who enjoyed rides in the car, daily walks to the mail box. For a stranger to walk past and be anything less than polite wasn't a good idea...especially when the dogs were with Teresa.

As the years past, and our girls matured into old spinsters, one thing remained unchanging. Those moments, often several times a day when they would stop what they were doing, be it waking up from a nap, wondering around our property or listening to the birds and wildlife, when they would come to us, put their heads in our laps and show that unconditional love. Not for want of a treat or for the attention but (we think) to check on us and make sure everything is OK.

Last year (August) when Teresa was out of town, Serene, Mellow and I spent a day outside. Serene was especially playful. She did her pretend to hunt thing, snorted through the creek bed and whined at the turtles and frogs. It was just an exceptional day for her while her sister, Mellow looked on. That night Serene went to the front door and beckoned to be let out. I opened the door, turned to Mellow and ask if she wanted to go too. When I turned around, Serene fell on the deck and lay quietly. I knelt beside her, put her head in my lap and she let out her last breath. I wept for hours that night and struggled with what I was going to say to my darling wife.

When I returned to the inside of the house I watched Mellow sleeping. I went to Serene's favorite spot and picked up her blanket, went back to our deck and wrapped her up and took her to my truck seat. I buried her the next morning and then called Teresa. It's been a year since that time and Mellow was never the same. She would still walk the property, but go to Serene's special spots. We both knew she continued to look for here sister. Mellow's health degenerated to where she could no longer walk, then no longer hold her head up, eat or drink and Teresa, faithfully, hand fed her and spooned water to her mouth. And then, this morning, Teresa asked me to take her to the vet as Mellow's pain was too much for her to bear.

It's been a day filled with tears and emotions for us both. We will always have those memories of the sisters growing up in our house playing and sharing. What I will remember most is when they would come to us and put their heads in our laps, perhaps, for no other reason than to say we love you.

My wife went to bed this evening with her eyes still red and tears not yet dry. I wrote this post to share with you folks but I think it's more for Teresa than anyone else. I hope I can show it to her some day when the pain has passed and when we have that moment to remember what joy two little puppies brought to our lives.

·
Super Moderator
6,143 Posts
So sorry for your loss Mark. The story you shared touched me very deeply as I read it. They become so much a part of our lives, and enrich the life we live, it is so very hard to let them go. But as you say, their memories, and the happiness and joy they brought to you and Teresa will live on forever in your minds and your hearts.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sorry for your loss!

It's had to make that last trip to the vet, but your friend will no longer suffer. ~~ grnspot

·
Registered
71 Posts
They are ot just our pets, or friends, our companions. They are our family. It is always hard to see them go, but I truly think that they will be waiting on us to join them when our time comes and we will see them again. As grnspot said, she will no longer suffer and I hope you can take comfort in that. Our prayers go out to you and your wife.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Mark. Thank you so much for sharing your memories and stories of your best friends. I do understand what you and your wife are going through and its tough but in time you will move past this and remember all the great times and memories that you and your wife shared with your furry little companions. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers as you transition through this time of loss. My family and I wish you and your wife the best and hope that the new year will bring you better times and new joyous experiences.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
Mark,

I am deeply saddned to read this. I feel your family's grief. Pets become so much apart of the family that we tend to consider them one of us. When their time comes, it is like losing a family a member.

You gave them both a wonderful life and they were very lucky to have such a loving and caring family that you provided them. We have to think they are in a better place now and that we will one day see them again.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you fellas!

When I wrote this I hadn't really thought about how it would be received. After reading your responses, I thought 'of course, the members here are all such great people what was I worried about?.

Again, thank you all so much -

Mark

·
Founding Administrator
1,276 Posts
Mark and Teresa--Just read about your most recent loss. Linda and I are very sorry that you have lost another good friend. So very sad when the time comes. We know in our hearts it's the right thing to do but it does not make it easy. I still feel bad about having had to make the same choices for our pets over the years. The void they leave will never be filled. Another pet/friend may come into our lives and become another member of the family and help us cope, but not replace.

Please accept our condolences.

Brad and Linda

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Im sorry about your lose, dogs are always a part of the family

·
Administrator
6,296 Posts
Sorry for your loss Mark. Once in awhile I'll still have a dream with my springer in it. It was over 15 years ago I took her to the vet for the last time. Still maintain her kennel and dog house but have yet to go looking for a new friend to make use of it for one reason or another.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mark, I's so sorry to hear of your loss. I am an animal lover myself, and have 2 cats cause my wife and I's hours aren't good for a dog. I can't imagine what I would do without my cats. They, like your dogs, have their own unique way of telling us that they love us. That should be something that should comfort you and your wife. Just knowing that you gave them the best life possible, and they showed you how much they appreciated it every day of their lives. I wish there were more pet owners like you. I see too many animals abused and neglected that it makes me physically ill. The world would be a much better place with loving people like you. Take care and God bless.

Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.