My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a ryobi 3100 a few months ago. Its the 3100 psi model with a Honda engine. ( Honda tough) It features the idle down .. I got it half price from home depot. I assume someone bought it and did what they needed and returned it.. Well, I ran the dog crap out of it in the 30 day window of time for return, after initially changing oil. So far it just has paid for itself.

I have seen a homelite branded washer with a Honda last 10 yrs that was moderately taken care of with heavy use at times.

Anyone have a similar washer? Problems, or suggestions for maintaining it?

·
Registered
390 Posts
You are far enough south to not worry much about freezing temperatures, but I would say adding a pump saver type of liquid to the pump will keep the seals soft and lessen corrosion during storage. I have read some people use recreational vehicle water system anti freeze with good results.
:2cents:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran it all day today, preparing an old house for paint. I ll prepare it and other stuff for winter soon enough. Past couple years I have seen a week or two straight down to 10 degrees. What would be the best way to store it as far as the pump is concerned?

Mentioned an antifreeze suitable for RV applications but how would I get it into the system, .. The pump. I understand to drain the hose ect. In the past I have disconnected everything hose related and fired it up very briefly as to " spit out " any residual water...

·
Registered
390 Posts
All of the actual pump saver (winterizer) I have seen comes with a hose adapter that screws into the pump water inlet. Some are pressurized cans, some are squeeze bottles. Not sure about injecting the RV anti freeze.

·
Registered
390 Posts
:ditto: The pump saver stuff really works. Also, it's always better to store the unit in a warm place.
Many years ago I had a pump crack due to freezing, even though it was? winterized. Now I still use pump saver but remove the four bolts (horizontal shaft engine) and store the pump in the basement during the winter, just to be safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
All of the actual pump saver (winterizer) I have seen comes with a hose adapter that screws into the pump water inlet. Some are pressurized cans, some are squeeze bottles. Not sure about injecting the RV anti freeze.
To winterize our RV I would just remove the water pump inlet hose from the fresh water tank and place the end of the hose in the RV antifreeze container and run the pump (do not inject it) until all the water was displaced by antifreeze. An RV has a much larger water system than a pressure washer so it shouldn't take much antifreeze to winterize it. Just make sure the antifreeze has run through everything and you'll be good to go. I've never had an issue even with temps going below -40. The only reason anything would crack is if you didn't get all the water out or the antifreeze wasn't rated low enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts