My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ryobi 767r that has run great for many years,this year I have been able to use it once or twice. Same fuel as always, new plug, new fuel lines and filter put in last year. This year when I try to pull the cord it jerks back in very hard and once in awhile it starts as usual but 90% of the time it's a no go and my shoulder is getting sore-take the plug out and it spins over great but when plug goes back in it starts jerking back in. Any idea?

Thanks,
Quickshot

·
Registered
473 Posts
It is pretty rare on a string trimmer, but you may have sheared the flywheel key and thrown off the ignition timing. I usually pull the recoil slowly to bring the piston to the top of its compression stroke, let the recoil rewind and then give the cord a good hard pull. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I try to pull it slowly out but is hard pulling every two inches and let it recoil but the same scenario, a reply on the Tractor forum suggested changing fuel which I will try. A person in town suggested that the reed valve might of failed??
Thanks,

JAS

·
Registered
473 Posts
I believe most small displacement engines don't use reed valves. If you feel resistance every two inches or so, that would be about the length of the piston stroke and the spark plug firing at possibly the wrong time. It is pretty simple to check the flywheel key.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe most small displacement engines don't use reed valves. If you feel resistance every two inches or so, that would be about the length of the piston stroke and the spark plug firing at possibly the wrong time. It is pretty simple to check the flywheel key.
The spec.show a reed valve-how do you check the flywheel key? The reed valve is no longer available.
Thanks,JAS

·
Registered
473 Posts
Remove the pull start assembly to expose the flywheel and remove the retaining nut. The flywheel can then be slid off the crankshaft for inspection of the key.
Sorry about the reed misinformation on YOUR motor.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remove the pull start assembly to expose the flywheel and remove the retaining nut. The flywheel can then be slid off the crankshaft for inspection of the key.
Sorry about the reed misinformation on YOUR motor.
Quite all right and Thanks for info on looking at the flywheel key.
At a stand still right now as I go in for surgery on my spine-I fell and have three compression fractures they have to repair so I doubt if I will be weed eating for a while-Dr, said at least 2 months--Rats

Quickshot

·
Registered
473 Posts
Good luck with the surgery and prayers for a successful recovery, the grass will be there when your ready.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts