My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I bought a well-preserved RX75 with a strong engine that needed repairs to the drive line. I replaced the Primary belt (the lower of the two). The Secondary belt looked almost new so I left it alone. I also swapped out a part that appears on the schematic for the VARIATOR, ENGINE JACKSHEAVE, PRIMARY AND SECONDARY IDLERS AND BELTS as part no. 19 "ARM." (No part number on the schematic.) I swapped out the ARM with one from my own RX73 because the one on the RX75 was clearly bent and causing too much tension on the Primary belt and too fast of a forward speed in the lower gears and almost no change in speed in the high gears.

I sold the RX75 to a woman I know, and went to see her this past Thursday to help her prepare her mower for mowing season. I mowed with it a bit, and while mowing, I noticed that the mower seemed to be breaking away on downhill slopes. I was mowing in second or third speed and when I was going downhill, it was "running away." I was able to slow it using the brake but I know this is not how it is supposed to work.

I am wondering if it is likely that there is an issue with the transaxle that is be causing this, or it its more likely to be the Secondary belt slipping on the main drive sheave. I have rebuilt a couple of these transaxles (Tecumseh Peerless 910 Series) and I have a spare I can install. Whatchall think?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I would check belt first as it is easier to get too! Maybe some slip?
Not sure what in trans would allow it to overrun like that? There isn't a clutch per say inside so I would lean on belt/pulley issue!

Reactions: jfenn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would check belt first as it is easier to get too! Maybe some slip?
Not sure what in trans would allow it to overrun like that? There isn't a clutch per say inside so I would lean on belt/pulley issue!
I had thought it might be a stripped pinion gear, but if that was the problem it would not steadily climb an incline, but it does steadily climb when on an incline. So I think it has to be the Secondary belt despite its pristine appearance. I am going to try spraying some belt dressing on it. If that helps, then I'll replace the belt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the benefit of whoever may read this thread later, I figured out the problem and it was caused by neither of what I thought. The bearings in the variator had gone bad. They were fine when cold, but would seize after running a short while.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
You never know on this side of screen what issue could be! Glad you found it and fixed it! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts