My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Dixon ZTR 424 with a 11hp B/S IC cast iron bore Model: 253707 Type: 0145-01 Code: 83052711. The mower itself is in pretty good shape, but they left it in the weather and the engine was seized up. I tore it apart and found the head had water in it and the cylinder was down about 1/4 of an inch. The part of the cylinder not covered by the piston has rusted. I'm trying to tear the whole engine apart and can not get the flywheel off. I have tried all my tricks and nothing has worked. I have beat, heated it, sprayed it with penetrating oil, put a gear puller on it.. And nothing... and ideas?????

Also, the cylinder has some rusting. I cleaned it all off and can see some very fine/minor pitting in the cylinder from the rust near the top of the cylinder. Is this a major issue and any thoughts on this. Should it be bored out or can I hone it? If a cylinder is honed, do the rings have to be replaced with over-sized ones??:dunno:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I just got a Dixon ZTR 424 with a 11hp B/S IC cast iron bore Model: 253707 Type: 0145-01 Code: 83052711. The mower itself is in pretty good shape, but they left it in the weather and the engine was seized up. I tore it apart and found the head had water in it and the cylinder was down about 1/4 of an inch. The part of the cylinder not covered by the piston has rusted. I'm trying to tear the whole engine apart and can not get the flywheel off. I have tried all my tricks and nothing has worked. I have beat, heated it, sprayed it with penetrating oil, put a gear puller on it.. And nothing... and ideas?????

Also, the cylinder has some rusting. I cleaned it all off and can see some very fine/minor pitting in the cylinder from the rust near the top of the cylinder. Is this a major issue and any thoughts on this. Should it be bored out or can I hone it? If a cylinder is honed, do the rings have to be replaced with over-sized ones??:dunno:
http://www.evapo-rust.com/

Pour in generous amounts and let sit...

It should be unstuck in 48 hours..

-Stan

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
As far as the flywheel goes, it sounds like you have done the usual things. All you could do is put it under a lot of stress by putting the puller on it, cranking it down and soaking it with the old PB Blaster and let it sit for a day or two. Sometimes it will pop free or sometimes if you walk by it and put a turn or two on it every now and then, she'll give way.
As far as the cylinder goes, the pitting is a problem. If left it as is, you will lose compression and burn oil, you will at minimum will need to hone it. Depending on how much you need to remove will determine if you need over size rings or have it bored and replace the piston with an over sized one to match the new bore. After you hone it, check the tolerances provided in the engine manual as well as checking end gaps on the rings.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I'd just do an.020 bore, put oversize rings in it and let er' rip. It sounds like you're gonna just have to stick with the gear puller and penetrating fluid, but just be careful not to overdo it and bust the flywheel.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
However, On the subject at hand...

If you had an air Chisel that would be ideal..

Simply put a point tip on it and place the point in the hole on the top of the crank shaft, apply slight pressure to the flywheel and hammer away with the air chisel..

The vibration will have it off in a couple of ticks without damaging anything.

-Stan

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
My concern would be, what or how are you prying at the flywheel? Real easy to crack an engine case. I just repaired a case where the PO did the same thing and left me a little gift :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My concern would be, what or how are you prying at the flywheel? Real easy to crack an engine case. I just repaired a case where the PO did the same thing and left me a little gift :(
I been using what I guess would be called a gear puller. It has two claws. I put two bolts in the threaded holes on the flywheel and attached the claws to the bolt heads and cranked away. I also hammered on the main bolt of the puller that applies the downward pressure. I did this after letting it soak in PB for about thirty minutes. I have never seen a flywheel this stuck, this thing is on there..

Thanks for all the comments greatly appreciated...

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
You may want to use a different type of pulller like this one that you can get more pull on. You have options for 2 or 3 bolts. I use the same one.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
You're not really supposed to use a puller to remove the flywheel, 'cause it makes it real easy to bust something. Of course, the engine maker wants you to buy a special tool, but still.:dunno:

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:sorry:Sorry, FP, didn't see your last post. That's a different kind of puller than the one I'm thinking about, and is the right kind. The ones you gotta watch are the type with two claws.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
The one I recall we had in shop class in high school had two claws on springs and a sliding weight on the shaft to hammer with. We had one lawnmower engine in class that a kid brought in that the instructor was trying everything including a torch to break it loose. Not too sure they ever did get it to budge.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: I finally got it off. I modified my puller a little bit, sprayed on some more PB and put some heat to it, then beat on it with a 2lb sledge.. I don't think it had a choice, but to come off.. thanks for all the input..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update: I finally got it off. I modified my puller a little bit, sprayed on some more PB and put some heat to it, then beat on it with a 2lb sledge.. I don't think it had a choice, but to come off.. thanks for all the input..
I had a stuck one in my shop the other day. I ended up placing the pointed end of a body hammer on the hole in the crank end, then used a two pound sledge to strike the other end of the body hammer. The flywheel popped right off with the first tap. I also applied light pressure by slightly prying upward with a large screwdriver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts