My Lawnmower Forum banner

Rust Remover from American Restoration

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  89yt12 
#1 ·
:idea: I would like to share this with you guys. I was watching an episode of American Restoration and one "Rick's Tips" was the use of a couple different type of household products, one being Apple Cider Vinegar to remove rust. You place the item in a container of the vinegar for a period of time depending on the amount of rust and remove it, wipe, brush or wash if off and presto rust is gone.

???????? Yea whatever! :dunno:

Well I tried it on some rusty carb parts like throttles, bowls, screws, etc and to my surprise it worked great! I had a carb bowl heavily rusted on the inside where the PO left fuel in it repeatedly and I had to leave it in for a while but it removed the rust and all that was left was the pitted metal. I found using an old toothbrush worked nicely too after soaking the parts for a while.

This is great technique when restoring small parts or parts that you can't replace and you don't want to sand blast or wire brush them.

The only warning I have is, if you have any cuts on your fingers, STAND BY! :(

I know there are some products on the market that do the same job but you can't beat the price and chances are you probably have some in your cupboard already. :cool

See less See more
#2 ·
I saw that tip as well but had not tried it yet. I've used Saniflush in the past but it can be pretty aggressive. Also tried the electrolysis with a battery charger and washing soda with decent results.

How to Remove Rust Using Washing Soda -- Electrolytic Rust Removal | eHow.com

Here's an article about cleaning railroad lanterns that has some interesting ways people have used with success for cleaning them. Note the comments about aluminum parts as that is something of concern on engines and mower parts.

Lantern Restoration - Railroadiana Online

One thing for sure is you have to be careful what you use and be aware to the chemical reactions taking place to make it work. Best case of trouble you pull out a shriveled piece of metal a fraction of it's original size. Worst case you get overcome by the fumes or blow yourself up when having a smoke while waiting on the metal to shine up. ;)

#3 ·
Interesting! I'll have to give it a shot.

#4 ·
Cool, thanks for the share!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.