My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to try a technique I seen on a TV show and found that it works very well, so well that I will continue to use this in my future restorations.
The process is simple, all you need is a plastic container and enough apple cider vinegar to cover your item you want to remove rust from. Soak your item for a period of time from a couple hours to a day or so depending on the amount of rust that is on the item. You may need to brush off the residue with a tooth brush when you remove the items from the soak.
The following pictures are before and after of a Briggs & Stratton throttle/choke/governor plate that was heavily rusted. The pictures which still does not do justice, tells the rest of the story.

This is a bolt that was rusty and was soaked over night. The only side effect that I've seen is the item loses the anodized gold coating however if you wire wheeled them they would be stripped anyways. This method is less destructive and there are ways to put new anodized coatings back on an item if that is the effect you are trying to achieve.

Hope you have as much fun and enjoyment that I had by trying this method out.

Be safe! Wear the proper safety equipment!

·
1,329 Posts
I havn't done this procidure on my parts , I bead blast the small parts. But, in the case as your part, bead blast would damage the plastic pieces on your part.
It did a awesome job on the pieces that you have shown, thanks for sharing that.
Also , at the tractor/stationary engine club here local, I have heard (but not tried) that the applecider vinegar works wonders in a stuck engine. a little added to each cylinder will loosen the engine up.
some good advice with picture proof there Five Points :ThumbUp::ThumbUp: If there were a "LIKE" on your thread or post I would click it.

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
Wow , that is great . But if it does that , I will never use apple cider vineger on anything i'm going to eat . Imagine what it does to your stomach :(

·
1,329 Posts
Wow , that is great . But if it does that , I will never use apple cider vineger on anything i'm going to eat . Imagine what it does to your stomach :(
:sidelaugh:sidelaugh thats funny! BUT a good point.
So, I will share this with you.
I drank 1 table spoon of apple cider vinegar in a full glass of water every morning for a year. Done wonders with my intire body. I change over to a nutritional drink3 years ago.
Aint no rust left in ME!!! I used to squeek when I walked, wasn't because I was tight! I was rusted up.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that the apple cider vinegar works wonders in a stuck engine. a little added to each cylinder will loosen the engine up.
I see how that could work doc, any rust that is there is completely removed from the steel. when I take a part out, I can literally wipe off what ever rust residue that is left sitting on the part. This stuff is amazing. And yes, there are a lot of health benefits from the ACV as well.
Whats nice is there is no damage to the part from abrasive blasting or scratching from wire wheels or sand paper. Notice the reference marks that were unharmed on the plate and the plastic gear was unharmed as well. It also seems to have a degreasing value to it as well. I rinsed everything off with water or a little Purple Power and water and blasted everything off with compressed air and it was done! :)

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Thats :cool

I need to get some and keep it in the garage :ThumbUp:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Those parts came out amazing! You wouldn't have ever thought they looked anywhere near like they were before.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those parts came out amazing! You wouldn't have ever thought they looked anywhere near like they were before.
I agree, I still look at them and get such a kick out of it because the metal is so clean and smooth like new. Even where the worst of the rust was its only slightly textured. I think back at all the sandblasting and wire wheeling and little parts that went flying across the shop. Now if I could find a vat big enough to dip my 34 McCormick Deering in..... :ROFL

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's the acid that does the trick. I've cleaned up a lot of old hand planes with distilled vinegar. It doesn't penetrate very well though. I stuck a broken exhaust bolt in there with the nut still frozen on it. Came out clean a whistle but still frozen.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's the acid that does the trick. I've cleaned up a lot of old hand planes with distilled vinegar. It doesn't penetrate very well though. I stuck a broken exhaust bolt in there with the nut still frozen on it. Came out clean a whistle but still frozen.
I save the penetrating stuff for the heat and PB Blaster. I did hear the cider was good for freeing up a rusty stuck engine by dissolving the rust around the rings but you do have some clearance there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldn't use it in an engine. It will pit metal if left for too long.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Personally,
I love "Evaporust", 100% Non Toxic, Works like a dream... No idea what it is, But I do know its not ACV :ROFL

Evapo-Rust Rust Remover Home
Not bad but I can get 1 gallon of apple cider vinegar for under $4 vs. 1 gal of evaporust for $28.95.
These are factors that you need to consider when you are working on a budget and keeping your operating cost down which effects your bottom line. :2cents:

Is this what you use on all of your restorations?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn't use it in an engine. It will pit metal if left for too long.
I agree with you Bob, if tranny fluid or pb wont free it up, it probably needs to come apart anyways.:ThumbUp:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts